This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

For me, a rainy day means being curled up in bed either watching Netflix or reading a book. I’m not sure if it’s the sound of raindrops falling, or the fresh, colder temperature, but my body immediately loses all motivation for productivity. If you’re like me, you prefer to read a good book anywhere and anytime. You must relate to the feeling of wanting to stay in bed on a rainy day! 

Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy

Pages: 406 pages

The best assassin in all of Adarlan has served a year of hard labor for her crimes. She’s offered her freedom in exchange for winning a competition to find a new royal assassin. Things get more complicated afterward: there’s a love triangle, mysterious deaths, and adventure. If you’re a fantasy novel lover, this is the perfect book for stormy weather. Learn more through Sarah J. Maas website!

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Genre: Novel, Drama, Quest, Fantasy Fiction, Adventure fiction

Pages: 163 pages

In a simple way, this book is filled with wisdom that touches your soul, evoking messages on the importance of seeking your dreams and following your heart. It follows the story of an Andalusian boy who travels to the Egyptian dessert in search of a treasure and ends up finding so much more. Great for a rainy day, this novel will keep you relax while captivating you.

Since We Last Spoke by Brenda Rufener

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Pages: 292 pages

Of course, I had to add romance to the list. A car accident involving the siblings of two teenagers in love gets in the way of their relationship, and after a year of pure silence even though they were neighbors and even shared the same driveway, they reunite and try to rebuild their love. Heartbreakingly beautiful, it’s a must-read for a chilly day. Find this book through Brenda Rufener’s Page.

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Pages: 297 Pages

I think everyone has read this book at some point, but it still needed to be added to the list. In case you haven’t read it, the book tells the story of a boy named Miles who goes to boarding school looking for “a great perhaps” and meets Alaska Young, a very interesting, adventurous and troubled girl. When you read Looking for Alaska, you get transported to a colorless, cold world and a little bit of a hipster aesthetic which is somehow perfect for the weather.

Flux by Orion Carloto

Genre: Poetry, Science Fiction, Fantasy Fiction

Pages: 192 pages

Last but not least, poetry is a must for a rainy day. Rain makes you melancholic and dreamy. In Flux, blogger and YouTuber Orion Carloto navigates themes of love, heartbreak, sex, loss, solitude, in a conversational manner. If you’re in the mood for some easy-going yet meaningful poetry, this is the perfect book. You can find this book in plenty of places since it was published in 1992.

With finals around the corner, is getting harder to have some free time. Nevertheless, don’t forget to take care of yourself and your mental/emotional health during this challenging time, perhaps by reading a book! There’s more information available for each of these books, including where to find them, on Goodreads. You can read more reviews to your heart’s content.

Alanys Vazquez is a Comparative Literature student in the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She loves books, the beach and speaking out on her beliefs.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.