4 Different Coffee Shops In Rio Piedras: 4 Different Stories Of Entrepreneurship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Maybe you like coffee, maybe you don’t; but who doesn’t enjoy a solid and captivating entrepreneurial story? It all starts with a coffee bean, roasted and filled with aroma. Then, add a brave Puerto Rican with a handful of those coffee beans, and voila, you’ll have four amazing coffee shop stories in Río Piedras, which will be presented in this article.

1. Pocillo Dulce

As soon as you step in, you are greeted by the melodic clinking of cups, orders being called out, and a very pleasant atmosphere filled with enthusiastic and coffee-thirsty students. Eric Ruiz opened the Pocillo Dulce coffee shop in 2022. He was motivated to create a place that allows customers to think, converse, and work in a relaxed environment because, based on his own experience, he could never find a place with these characteristics when he needed it.

“The coffee in Puerto Rico is consumed like water, every day,” was the reason Ruiz shared about why he decided to work in the coffee industry.

Ruiz also mentioned that he is aware that there are many experts within the coffee industry. This awareness is what keeps him constantly learning and competition, aiming to deliver high-quality products. Pocillo Dulce stands out for its exceptional customer service and its unique dog-themed wall. On one of the walls at Pocillo Dulce, there are countless Polaroid snapshots featuring all the canine visitors.

Three pieces of advice from Pocillo Dulce for aspiring university entrepreneurs:

1. Initially, seek employment in a field that aligns with your entrepreneurial aspirations, where you not only receive compensation but also gain valuable experience.
  2. Prioritize savings! Recognize that the bank may not fulfill your exact needs, and anticipate that costs may be threefold.
  3. Nevertheless, consistently explore ways to initiate your venture gradually with minimal resources, and most importantly, never lose faith. NEVER.

2. Pal café

Pa’l Café, a coffee shop that, although small in space, is giant in love and joy. Just passing by the counter can change the course of your day, whether or not you make a purchase. The siblings, Ariel and Micaela Torres, will remember your face, perhaps even your name, and greet you with a big and warm smile.

These two siblings from Argentina have a long history of serving coffee with love within Torre Norte at Plaza Universitaria. From the famous ‘quesitos rellenos de dulce de leche’ to the organic mate, everything is excellent.

Both of them always loved everything related to gastronomy, and more importantly, customer service. Pa’l Café wasn’t something the Torres siblings had initially considered, but the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus offered them the opportunity to undertake a venture within its premises, and they took it.

Pa’l Café is different from the other coffee spots in Río Piedras because of the way they treat each customer. Beyond just selling you a coffee, Ariel and Micaela’s purpose is to shift the energy of those who come burdened with the challenges and problems of daily life.

“Changing people’s energy a bit, I think, is a satisfaction for us, and it’s reflected in the fact that people keep coming,” commented Ariel.

Three pieces of advice from Pa’l Café for aspiring university entrepreneurs:

1. Have a strong desire to undertake.
  2. Whatever you do, do it with love and a lot of effort.
  3. Venture into something you truly enjoy doing; that will open many doors for you.

3. Café Comunión – Paseo De Diego

If you seek a contemporary and inviting setting to savor a quality cup of coffee, Café Comunión on Paseo De Diego is a must visit. This coffee establishment boasts an extensive array of international coffee selections sourced from the finest coffee producing regions worldwide. Furthermore, their ambiance is designed to foster gatherings and facilitate the formation of meaningful connections. 

The story of this coffee shop began not too long ago, as the Café Comunión location in Río Piedras opened in September of 2023. However, the entrepreneurial journey of Abner Roldán and Karla Quiñones started six years ago with their first coffee shop in Santurce.

Roldán had a dream of starting his own business, but the specific idea wasn’t clear to him. Back in 2008, he balanced being an English teacher during the day and working as a barista at night. Surprisingly, he found more satisfaction in crafting coffee than in the teaching profession, for various reasons. In 2017, Abner and Karla took the leap of faith and opened their inaugural Café Comunión spot in Santurce on Ponce De León Avenue.

Already determined to turn coffee into a full time profession, Abner devoted himself to winning national barista competitions where he represented Puerto Rico in locations such as Australia, Sweden, Germany, and Italy. Karla, who used to be a history teacher, also chose to step away from teaching and immersed herself in the coffee industry, working directly on farms in countries such as Colombia, Peru, and Guatemala. Together they created a dynamic where Abner specializes in working behind the coffee shop counter, while Karla not only contributes to the coffee shop but also engages in on-site work on farms. They make a fantastic team!

Many may wonder why choose Paseo De Diego to open a business? For this couple, Paseo de Diego was an ideal location because they believe that for a coffee shop, it’s essential to be in a place where people regularly walk and don’t rely solely on cars. A significant portion of Café Comunión’s customers consists of individuals who are already parked, working in nearby offices, residents, or students. Río Piedras seemed like the perfect place for their new business. Although it may not appear visually bustling these days, there are many people in the area who, upon noticing new establishments offering food or drinks, step out of their spaces and visit them.

“I don’t like to say that Café Comunión is different for this and that, but something important that we have is the branding—a good brand, a good name, and a well-thought-out logo. We didn’t want it to be just coffee; we wanted it to have a significant word that would make people think,” commented Abner. Café Comunión is committed to maintaining consistency in its products and providing excellent customer service because one of its philosophies is that “the customer leaves feeling better than they came in.”

Three pieces of advice from Café Comunión for aspiring university entrepreneurs:

1. Specialize in what you want to undertake. Educate yourself, work in the industry, and consume information related to the subject. You can engage in ‘productive procrastination,’ like watching TV shows, as long as they teach you something about what interests you.
  1. Don’t start a business just because it’s a trend. Look for something that you’re passionate about, as businesses are meant to last not just for one or two years but for the rest of your life and the next generations. Gain inspiration from others but make it your own. Infuse each idea with a bit of your personality.
  1. You must create experiences. “I don’t want to sound like a boomer” Roldán commented, but if you want to build something lasting and impactful, you can’t do it overnight.

Bonus Tip: 

1. Seek mentors, they can be people you know or don’t know. 

(In the case of Abner Roldan, one of his mentors was Anthony Bourdain).

4. Boca Boca

SMewmxsLcD67Y gyGSHJB6QCC4yos9HrsVMHLvLD3tMR7UE9BYSJ91cnC3xkNjeWAyZu8 Nyfr6NzN5VQH8zqJ4bK8KzOrGkH66LzqaZ4 Qn0Pyie FWhr Dry1EeijpXAaSc4VPi8 mpgEJ gbQ9ag

Let’s be real for a moment; student life is beautifully chaotic, and there isn’t always time to go out in search of coffee since we’re always on the go. Boca Boca cafeterias are just what you need.

Boca Boca is a cafeteria with various spaces within the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus: Naturales and Casa Lima.

The president of Boca Boca concessionaires, Fernando Pont, explained that his focus has always been to create establishments within university institutions, as he believes there is more foot traffic in those locations. The concept of these cafeterias adapts to the capacity of each location. Some are smaller than others, which is why each one tends to offer different things, always keeping in mind that there is coffee in all of them because “coffee is something very important wherever I am,” explained Pont.

Boca Boca caters to an audience of all income levels, offering a comprehensive selection. These coffee shops have a variety of options at different price points; if you’re on a tight budget, you can get a snack and a coffee, and if you have a bit more, you can order a sandwich or a meal. Boca Boca provides you with choices.

After the pandemic, Pont has focused on improving and unifying the image of Boca Boca to make all its spaces look uniform.

Three pieces of advice from Boca Boca for aspiring university entrepreneurs:

1. Study the area where you will place your business carefully.
  1. Ensure a solid accounting system, manage expenses effectively, and handle necessary permits. This approach allows you to pinpoint both your opportunities and areas for improvement. “This will enable you to rest easy,” remarked Pont.
  2. Look for good employees; they are the backbone of a business. 
Milyarielix Dávila Vélez is a writer for Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. Simultaneously, she is completing her bachelor's degree in journalism and public relations at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus. She likes to write and share about her experiences and knowledge so that readers learn new things and maybe even identify with some of her stories! Beyond Her Campus, Milyarielix works in customer service. She loves talking to everyone and exchanging ideas which helps her to be more creative and analytical. In addition, she is part of The National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the Association of University Publicists and Public Relations. Some of Milyarielix's hobbies are participating in workshops that encourage professional and personal growth. She also enjoys activities like beach cleaning, bird watching, road trips, and going thrifting to find hidden gems. She is a lover of animals and dreams of becoming a rescuer one day, meanwhile, she helps non-profit organizations that are dedicated to saving the lives of abandoned animals. She is passionate about fashion and hanging out with her friends, but most of all she will make sure to always have a good time no matter what!