3 Ways to Deal with the Aftermath of Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This week at Her Campus at UPR, we’ve tried to raise awareness on the subject of sexual harassment and sexual assault. The week has been heavy with these important problems. Though being a victim to these crimes is a harrowing experience, we believe that it’s a situation that you can recover from.

It might take days, weeks, or even years, but there will be a moment when you feel completely healed. You are more than your scars. You are more than your experiences, you’re a survivor, and that’s what counts.

There is no surefire way to recover from any type of assault. Every person’s situation is different. What might help someone else might not help you. But, here are three ways that we think will help you get started on the road to recovery:

1: Talk to someone you trust

Assaults can leave you feeling broken, with a feeling of worthlessness, and as if your very intimacy as a human being has been battered. However, these feelings won’t be permanent. Talking to someone you trust about what happened may help you feel better and let go. This person can be your support system. They can help you recover from the situation. They can also help you realize that this wasn’t your fault. It feels great to have someone in your corner—especially when you’ve been through such a rough situation. Having someone that will listen to you share your story at your own pace, without pressuring you, can give you an appropriate outlet for release.

2: Realize that it wasn’t your fault

Whether you’re a man or woman, society puts a lot of pressures on victims of sex crimes.

If you’re a woman, your whole existence is pulled into question. Were you out drinking? What were you wearing? Were you flirty? If you were drinking, wearing a revealing outfit (or not!), and/or if you were flirtatious are not elements that are relevant to the narrative. If you’re a man, some people may laugh at that mere notion. But, we know that men can get sexually assaulted as well. Anyone of any gender can, but it’s not your fault. It’s never your fault. Your gender, your outfit, your attitude, none of that matters where assault is concerned! The mere fact that you were assaulted should be enough of a condemnation. So, remember, assault is NEVER the victim’s fault. It’s never your fault.

3: Reach out to people who have been through the same thing

The most important thing to have when you’ve been through an ordeal like this is: support. A web of support from people that have been through the same thing will remove the notion of being alone from your head. You aren’t alone, and people are willing to help. Sharing the same type of situations with someone, even when they aren’t good, help you with recovery.

You will get through this. You are a strong and beautiful human being, and nothing will stand in your way.

National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline: 800.656.HOPE (4673) 

Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.