This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A few weeks ago, I turned 20 years old. While I was overwhelmed that I wasn’t a teenager anymore, it felt even worse to celebrate my last teenage year in quarantine during a global pandemic. They say your twenties are your prime years, but between college classes, part-time jobs, and transitioning to adult life, these years can fly away so quickly. Although my 20s are supposed to be better than my teenage years, I have to eventually grow up and aim for success. That is why I aim to have a goal-driven first year as a twenty-year-old. Here are some of the things I want to accomplish during this year.  

See it as a “bucket list” if you will, so without further ado, here are 21 goals I want to achieve before I turn 21:

Skydiving

While my mother might have a heart attack if I get on a plane to do this, skydiving has been on my bucket list since I found out about it. I decided to fast track it to before turning 21 because I am scared of heights, but you gotta go for it… right? 

Run a marathon

During the pandemic I’ve found my new love for fitness, specifically Crossfit. During all of this process, I realized how much I actually like running. Training and running a marathon will be a nice challenge to accomplish.

Fall in love

I know I’ve been the president of the Singles Club, but my membership is about to expire. I feel ready to open up and try the unstable waters of love. When it happens, it happens… but why not while I’m 20?

Do a solo trip somewhere

Suggestions are open! Whether it be to Disney or a local AirBnB, a solo trip after this exhausting semester seems like a good idea to regroup and be distant with myself, to do some self-reflection, and who knows, maybe I can do a little dancing on my own too, which is never a bad idea. 

Go back to campus*

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I’m so ready to go back to campus. Going back to campus to continue to explore my university and to experience life both on and off the books.

*if the pandemic allows

Compete in dance

As a member of the UPR Dance Team, I wish to compete with the team in UDA over in Florida and in Justas LAI. Representing the university, while doing one of my favorite hobbies, is a goal I have had since freshman year, and I feel so much more confident to do it now. 

Finish writing my novel

You heard right, a novel. The idea is there, and a few chapters are in the process. Even if I delay publishing it for a while, it will be a fine challenge to finish this work of art while I’m 20.

Sing in a karaoke bar

Alcohol is required for this task. I do not sing even if my life depended on it. But, singing drunk in a bar seems like a good way to go. Songs like “LA CANCION” by Bad Bunny or “El Sol No Regresa” by La Quinta Estación seem like powerful songs to sing to with a few drinks in my system.

Go skinny dipping

I’ve wanted to do this since Katy Perry sang about “skinny dipping in the dark” in her iconic single “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)”. While I hope I don’t get arrested for this, this seems actually really fun, and the adrenaline would make the experience more epic. I do not know if I would do this with someone… Maybe if we were dating? We’ll see.

Learn to sew

Since I want to chase a career in fashion, I want to be able to defend myself with a sewing machine. Although I strive to be a publicist for a major brand, I don’t mind the idea of maybe designing my own line in the future. 

Make a garment

All that learning has to help me create something. Creating a garment of any sort will be a step in the right direction towards putting my sewing skills to the test. 

Go to Culebra

I have never gone to Culebra, I sometimes don’t feel Puerto Rican because of it. This has to change as soon as possible. I wish to spend all day on the Flamingo beach with friends and exploring all of the Island’s beauty. 

Go camping or glamping

While I’m not scared of dirt and mud… I am high maintenance. Glamping seems like the better option for me. I have not decided if this should be my solo trip… Stay tuned.

See both the sunset and sunrise with friends

I’m a big fan of sunsets, but I wish to see both the sunrise and sunset on the same day, with some occasional naps during the day to make it through the hours.

Go to a drive-in-theater

And by drive-in theater, I mean a vintage, full-experience, drive-in theater. I’ve been to the new drive-in’s that have been popular due to the pandemic, but this check calls for the drive-in theater in Arecibo. 

Have a summer full of road trips and hidden beaches

The past few summers have been all work and no fun. Even last summer, because of the pandemic, since I couldn’t go out I decided to enroll in a few summer classes and, just in time to cancel my plans, the shopping malls reopened and I had to go back to work. This summer the goal is to go to at least six places around the Island. 

Learn a new language

A little intellectual challenge, because why not? Maybe French, or reinforce my Portuguese.

Go to a concert (if the pandemic allows)

I was looking forward to my great seats at Bad Bunny’s YHLQMDLG tour until of course, Corona hit. I miss the rush and the celebration of a concert.

Take a heels dance class

This is a huge challenge. First I have to find heels in my size and learn how to balance myself in them. The heels classes I see online look so good and they evoke so much confidence, which is something that has to be essential during my 20s.

Go to Festival del Tinglar

El Festival del Tinglar is celebrated on beaches to raise funds for sealife preservation and, if you’re lucky, you get to see some baby tinglares hatch.

Go hiking in El Yunque

Finally, the most adventurous thing would be hiking in El Yunque. El Yunque is a beautiful rainforest that I wish to explore every bit of it as soon as possible.

Creating this list of goals gives me the opportunity to aim for experiences throughout the year. Some of the things on this list are activities that I’ve been trying to do for years—and the time is now. I think the challenge of accomplishing all of these things could be one of the coolest birthday gifts I could get myself. This should become a tradition every year, from now on. Whether I decide to do these alone or with friends, there is something to look forward to doing before turning 21. Can life intervine? Absolutely, which is what makes accomplishing everything more challenging and fun.

José is majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. This communication undergraduate student from the UPR Río Piedras campus is an energetic Pisces with a passion for fashion, coming of age films, books, crossfit, and dance. Currently, José is a writer for HerCampus and the editorial executive and digital content creator for fashion magazine Imagen and lifestyle magazine BuenaVida.