Why You Should Read ‘After’ by Anna Todd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Anna Todd started writing as an creative outlet, and has turned it into an empire. Once writing fan-fiction in her free time while she was living in Texas, she now lives in LA and is pursuing all her dreams.

I have read this series (all five books plus the two books in the spin-off series) at least twelve times in the past five years. As an avid reader who reads book of all genres, it is hard for me to admit that I have a favorite. However, I love this series, and millions of readers around the world agree with me. Here are some of the reasons why this book made me fall in love.

Tessa Young is relatable. I am totally biased on this because Tessa is me. English lover, college is first time having independence, overachiever, people pleaser, etc., etc. I love her. I am her. But she has traits that a lot of people can relate to. She’s sometimes naive and sheltered. She’s intelligent. She loves hard. She forgives too easily, even when she shouldn’t. If you read this book and don’t love/relate Tessa, you didn’t get the point of her character.

Hardin’s character. The line “Good boys go to Heaven but bad boys bring Heaven to you,” describes Hardin Scott in a nutshell. He spent his whole life not caring what anyone thinks, but he yet he fell in love with a girl that is heavily opinionated. He doesn’t know how to love somebody right, that is obvious throughout the book, and the series as a whole, but as the book says, “Just because he doesn’t love you the way he should, doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you with everything he has.” It goes to show that even the broken can be loved.

The fights are real life problems. These days, I feel like couples fight over the smallest things. Not Hardin and Tessa. They fight about acceptance, about what it means to love someone, and about need. They fight more than most people, and often have the same argument more than once, I think that makes it real. (Obviously not healthy, but realistic nonetheless.)

It shines light on ‘daddy issues’, and not in a cliche way. I don’t mean to belittle the issue in any way, but writers typically write this off the same way in every novel. Anna touches on topics like substance abuse, poverty and sexual assault. Later in the series, they get into it a lot more, and the plot truly thickens, but the first book alone does pretty well in describing real life issues in my opinion.

It alludes to a lot of classical literature. Okay, I am biased when it comes to this because I love classic books, but it provides a modern day retelling of forbidden and hard love. It isn’t easy, and if it is, it might not be true love. (See Noah’s character for proof)

You never know what is going to happen next. You might think you do, and maybe at sometimes you will. But let me tell you, you won’t be able to predict a lot of what goes on throughout the story. Family drama, jealousy, drugs, etc. This book has turns every time you think you know what is going to happen next, and I think Anna makes the story move so smoothly.

It teaches you to love those deemed ‘unlovable’. Being unlovable isn’t possible, no matter what you think. This book shows you how to love those that deem themselves unworthy. It is hard. It is a lot of work. But it could be worth it.

THE PLOT TWIST WILL BREAK YOUR HEART. Again, maybe I’m biased because I love the characters so much. And I’m not going to lie, the plot twist at the end of book one is kind of cliche, but I wasn’t expecting it despite the hints throughout the novel.

In my opinion, everyone should read After. Now, there are some plenty of ‘adult scenes’ throughout the book, so if that isn’t something you are comfortable with, this book probably isn’t for you. But if you think you can handle it, give it a read. The movie adaption comes out in April of 2019, and I’m never been so excited. 

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.