This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

In light of recent events, many of us have found ourselves bored out of our minds. Going about our day to day routine out in the world has led us to feel like there’s nothing to do in our homes away from physical social interaction. I personally thrive while being alone because it allows me to do things I most likely can’t do because of my usual on-the-go routine as a student with a part-time job, and gives me extra time to enjoy being an introvert. With that being said, here are four things you can do to make the most out of being at home.

1)     Deep cleaning

We all have junk drawers, things we stuff into the back of our closets, and things we stash into corners so we can avoid having to deal with hem. This is the perfect time to go through everything in detail and, in the words of Marie Kondo, “get rid of anything that doesn’t bring you joy,” and finding a place for everything. This is also a great way to secure your place to ensure that everything is free from germs to fight the current pandemic virus.

2)     Learn something cool

When I run out of things to do, I always try to keep my mind busy by either reading or journaling. When even that is boring to me, I try to learn something new–for example I’m currently learning how to make bracelets with embroidery rope that I found stuffed in the corner of one of my drawers. This is an optimal time to pick up a new language or immerse yourself in odd conspiracy theories to pass the time and gather information for future conversations.

3)     Virtual socialization

Today there are tons of ways you can keep up with others and do fun things together. You can chat with them on skype, play online games together, and even watch movies with each other with audio to hear one another. Personally, I’ve been using the app Rave to keep up with my friends and watch spooky videos to pass the time and get a little adrenaline rush and speak to one another as we watch it to laugh at each other’s reactions. Our online advancements an help us make sure we get our socializing fix so we can hold on a little longer while being in isolation.

4)     Indoor movement

Just because we are asked to stay indoors does not mean we have to stay sedentary. Multiple studies have shown that movement helps us relieve stress, improve our heart health, and is a really good distraction. Whether it’s learning a new dance, a change in your workout routine, or just dancing goofy around your room to your favorite songs, it is a entertaining way to pass the time while giving your body a time to let everything out in a physical way.

Psychology major with a Marketing minor. I love everything music related and traveling with friends and i would die for my dogs.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.