The Lack of Latinx Representation in the Film Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The lack of Latinx representation in the film industry is concerning. Not just for actors and actresses, but also for directors, producers, writers, and filmmakers.

Latinx representation in the entertainment industry

The Hispanic/Latinx representation in film and television shows has been more imminent in the past 5 years than it ever has in the past 20 years. There has been a bit more Hispanic/Latinx culture in content in the media to advertise to the Hispanic/Latinx community. This includes films such as Encanto, West Side Story, and In the Heights. However, there’s still much more work that needs to be done, not only by having more representation in the entertainment industry, but also by having more representation behind the scenes. Hollywood needs more Latinx directors, producers, writers, and filmmakers.

The Statistics

Latinos roughly make up about 19% of the U.S. population, 7.7% of the films out there go to Latino roles, 5.6% of the writers in Hollywood go to Latinos, and approximately 7% of directors in Hollywood are Latinos.

It’s clear there needs to be more representation in the film industry, not only to make movies and television shows that cater to the Hispanic/Latinx community. There need to be more people behind the scenes, more writers, directors, producers, and filmmakers. It’s known that Hollywood prefers to have white leads with people behind the scenes, but time and time again with persistence Latinos in the industry have tried to pave the way for other Latinos and defy the odds.

Movie and TV Recommendations

Here’s a list of the top 5 movies to watch with Latinx representation and Latino directors:

• Real Women Have Curves (2002) director, Patricia Cardoso
  • Under the Same Moon (2007) director, Patricia Riggen
  • Stand and Deliver (1988) director, Ramon Menendez
  • Book of Life (2014) director, Guillermo del Toro
  • Roma (2018) director, Alfonso Cuaron
Hello, my name is Vanessa Roman, I'm from Houston, TX. I'm a Media Arts major with a Journalism minor at UNT and hope to graduate in 2024. I love to read, write, listen to music, bake, and most importantly watch movies.