Summer Walker’s NPR Tiny Desk Concert is Beautiful and Authentic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

2019 has been a year of successes and breakouts for Summer Walker. Although it seems the singer attempts to avoid the spotlight, it always finds its way back to her. Her performance at NPR’s Tiny Desk shows why she is deserving of the praise she receives.

She begins her set with “Session 32,” a stripped away sound that resembles the recorded 2018 single. As Walker plays her guitar, the emotional words strike listeners.

“Wasted” from her 2019 EP, Clear, is the sultry arrangement that follows. It’s flow and feel accompanied with the background singers’ crisp vocals offer a nostalgic experience reminiscent of early Jill Scott and India Arie.

She glides through her hit single “Girls Need Love,” a delicate harping on of the difficulties that she believes girls face in receiving and asking for affection. 

“Riot” is short and simple with guitar patterns and rifts. Walker’s transition from her pretty falsetto to her lower register makes the arrangement even more pleasant to listeners.

She wraps up her set-list with “Playing Games,” a song that translates well into her live performance.

At the end of her concert, Walker mentions her nerves and social anxiety leading up to and during her performance. Her statement is relatable. Walker is a person who experiences what many people and artists have likely encountered. But she was able to deliver a superb performance. After watching her navigate through her concert, my respect for her has only grown.

Before passing judgement on Walker’s performance, make sure to watch the entire concert. Walker is an artist in every respect of the word and she creates music not only for herself and to convey her feelings, but she also make it for anyone who appreciates her artistry.

Kaycee Hubbard is an undergraduate student at the University of North Texas majoring in journalism with a concentration in digital and print. She has had work published in her college's newspaper, The North Texas Daily, and for USA Today. She hopes to pursue a career in music journalism and write for a magazine after graduating. In her spare time, she enjoys singing and listening to old school R&B, reading fantasy novels, and exercising.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.