This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Finals week is going by faster than expected, summer vacation is getting closer and closer, and there’s one question on everyone’s mind: what am I going to do over break? Ideally, the perfect summer could involve beaches, music festivals, going on road trips with friends, and forgetting about all the worries of school and work. However, in case your life is not that of a rom-com movie or novel, your plans for summer could be a little different than expected. Here is a list of summer expectations vs. realities most of us have:

Expectation: Travelling to Exotic Places

You may fantasize about visiting the romantic city of Paris, France, or walking along the beaches of Sydney, Australia. Your Instagram page would be flooded with pictures of each destination you visit or the food you eat or selfies of yourself having the time of your life.

Reality: Travelling to the Grocery Store

The exciting walks down the aisles of the linoleum covered floors and the chance of running into old friends you knew in high school. You can still take Instagram photos of the food you buy; most likely there will be plenty of Nutella pictures.

Expectation: A Romantic Interest

Maybe you two met at a cafe or at the park or even at the gym, and you both clicked immediately. You guys have so much in common and they are entirely dedicated to you, it’s perfect.

Reality: A Netflix Account

Who needs romance when you can binge watch, “13 Reasons Why,” or, “Orange Is the New Black.” Netflix is available 24/7 and keeps track of the history you two have together. “I would enjoy watching Stranger Things, Netflix. How did you know?” <3

Expectation: Music Festivals

Flower crowns, sunglasses, creative makeup, they all symbolize music festivals. Listening to your favorite artists and bands with your best friends while snapchatting the entire experience. It’s a time to feel alive and get loose!

Reality: Dancing to Music In Your Underwear

No one can match your flawless moves, your perfect voice, or the way you hold your hairbrush to resemble a microphone. Dancing alone means nobody can judge you and you can sing your heart out until your sibling needs to use the bathroom.

Expectation: No School, No Problems

The year is over and you can finally relax, kick your feet up and do whatever you want. Go out or stay in, the choice is yours. You can take the time to clear your head and refresh yourself before the new semester starts.

Reality: Work and Chores

Now that you’re home, your parents will expect you to help around the house more, which means less time to relax. If you are getting a job over the summer, work cannot take a break.

Expectation: Getting a Summer Body

You can picture yourself fit and tan, you plan on working out everyday and eating as healthy as possible. When you return to school, you’ll receive so many compliments and be applauded for your dedication.

Reality: Opening a Second Can of Pringles

Summer is a time to relax, if you’re supposed to relax then why should you get up early and run rather than sleeping in? Your body is your body and it is beautiful no matter what shape it’s in. You already got your summer body!

Summer is a time for you, so whatever you end up doing, do it for yourself, whether it’s sleeping in or going out. Have a great break everyone and enjoy yourself, you deserve it!

I am a writer for Her Campus UNT and very excited to create fun and interactive articles for many to read! I am a journalism major at UNT and hoping to find a career in writing!
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.