diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Style Tips for High-Waisted Shorts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

While high-waisted shorts used to be a thing of the past, they are quickly making a comeback and are definitely becoming no stranger to college campuses.  If you’re anything like me, while on your recent shopping trips you’ve avoided anything high-waisted at all costs…until now. I used to think that they just “weren’t my style” or that they “wouldn’t look good on me,” but after having a spontaneous moment and ACTUALLY trying some on, I fell in love. Perhaps the most wonderful part about high-waisted shorts is that they don’t necessarily have to be for one specific style, making them one of the most versatile items of clothing you’ll own. With that being said, here are 14 ways to reinvent and incorporate these timeless beauties into your own wardrobe.

For Casual Looks

Pair your high-waisted shorts with a tucked in v-neck, boyfriend tee, or your favorite graphic tee.

Tuck in a plain or graphic tee or a tank top and throw on a flannel for a look that suits everyday life.

Of course you can never go wrong with a crop top and high-waisted shorts. For a more feminine look, pair them with a cardigan. To channel your inner rocker, try tying a flannel around your waist or simply wearing it like usual.

For Feminine Looks

Tuck in a blousey shirt and add a belt for a girly touch.

Try pairing a dressy button up with your shorts.PROTIP: High contrast colors always look good! 

For Work

For a work appropriate look, try your high-waisted shorts with a dressy blouse and a blazer.

Wear tights with a blouse and add a scarf and blazer or cardigan for a professional, feminine look.

Vintage Looks

When you’re feeling a little vintage, and very simple, pair a deep v-neck tank top with a faded pair of high-waisted shorts and a chunky cardigan.

For a classic sailor look, just wear a striped tee or sweater with shorts that embody the meaning of nautical and add a hat if you’re feeling super sassy and confident!

To Channel Your Inner Taylor Swift: Because who doesn’t love her?

Pair a lacey high neck tank top and a simple necklace with your shorts.

Wear a blousy button up that’s tied in the front (or maybe not) with a bold colored short.

If you weren’t already obsessed with high-waisted shorts, you probably are now! Hopefully I’ve shed at least some light on how to wear these trendy items of clothing for you. Happy styling, collegiettes! 

Hey there! I'm Kaitlin and I attend The University of North Texas for Interior Design. I have an unhealthy obsession with anything Disney, almost all types of chocolate, and my 2 year old golden retriever, Bentley. Find me rearranging my room, changing my outfit 18 times, and dancing along to Panic! at the Disco or Taylor Swift in the meantime.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.