This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It’s that time of year that all college freshmen are getting sick of living in their on-campus dorms. Moving into your sophomore year of college life you have two options: sign up to live in that grungy dorm again, or move on to a much bigger space. I recently made the choice to get an apartment and am here to share the helpful tips that I learned along the way. If you choose to go on the hunt for an apartment, this article is for you!

1. Research, Research, and Research Some More!

To get started you should think about possible roommates that you wouldn’t mind living with. When you have these friends in mind, you all can start your search for the perfect apartment! First things first, you need to put your head down and research. You should begin by pulling up a list of the apartments that are close to your campus and within your price range. Once you have this list, start your real research. Look through each apartment company’s website for important information about the apartment. It’s very helpful to create a list or table displaying this information so you can look at all of your options at once. Some helpful things to include in your list are parking, commute-time to school, and the amenities that the apartment offers.

2. Go On Some Tours!

This is the really fun part of your apartment search! Sign up for at least 3 apartment tours and bring your friends for their opinions. It’s important to ask your tour guide questions so make sure you make a list beforehand. Once you start the tour, you want to be sure that you completely inspect the apartment to scope out any potential problems. What’s the security like? If the apartment comes furnished, is the furniture in good condition? What’s the process of putting in a maintenance order? When your tour is over and all of your questions are answered, it’s time to compare each apartment to one another.

3. Sign the Lease!

After you have toured all of the apartments you had an interest in, it’s time to make a final decision. Compare each apartment in your list and decide which one is the best for your budget and your style. Once you have made this decision, don’t waste any time before signing the lease because student apartments can book up fast. Additionally, you might have the opportunity to have the application fees waived if you sign the lease within a certain time period. When signing your lease, make sure you understand everything and read through all of the paperwork, so you know what you are signing. Be sure to keep a copy for your records in the unfortunate event that an issue arises in the future.

After completing these steps, take a deep breath and relax because you are now the proud renter of your very own space (or at least your own bedroom). You have successfully completed a huge step in your journey to adulthood. Now you get to have fun and go shopping for décor for your new space! Good luck on your search and happy apartment hunting!

I am a sophomore at the University of North Texas currently studying psychology, political science, and women and gender studies. I love my cat, reading YA fiction, and shopping.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.