thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Seven Activities to do During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic is drastically changing different parts of the world as we know it. People are dying. People are losing their livelihoods. We all need to understand that it is important to stay indoors to not only protect yourself, but to also protect those who are most vulnerable.

Now take a deep breath. You’re not alone in these feelings of isolation. Sitting around indoors all day with nowhere to go can leave many feeling unmotivated and drained. For some students, virtual schooling has made learning far more difficult. As mentally draining as the current stay-at-home orders are, here are a few activities that will hopefully help.

Watch movies or shows.

Streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime offer a variety of different movies and shows to watch if you’re feeling bored or down, and they continue to add new ones. If those aren’t available to you, YouTube has entertaining videos and free shows.

Read a book.

This is a great time to learn something new and open your mind to all of the valuable knowledge out there. Or you could simple delve into a great fantasy novel. Maybe read a cookbook and learn some new recipes. 

Rest. 

Some people have expressed feelings of unproductiveness during this time. It’s okay to take a nap here and there, or even sleep in from time to time. It is still healthy to get up out of bed and establish a routine, but don’t beat yourself up because you’re not changing the world or inventing a revolutionary product. Take this time to rest if you can. 

Listen to music.

Music has many therapeutic qualities. Sometimes blasting your favorite tunes and belting out the words to your heart’s content can turn a bad mood into a cheery one. Don’t knock the power of music. It can get people through a lot.  

Go for a walk, run or ride outside.

Although social outings are cancelled for the time being, that doesn’t mean you can’t get some fresh air. If where you live permits it, go for a stroll, jog or ride. As long as you continue to follow the six-feet apart regulation, you should be safe. 

Pick up a new hobby.

Whether it’s writing a story, learning to knit or sew, or something else, find a new hobby that you think you may enjoy. The possibilities are endless. There are plenty of lists online if you need ideas. Search for them and get inspired.

Spend time with friends and family virtually.

If you aren’t quarantined with friends or family, make sure to keep in contact with them. Talk to them everyday. In times of loneliness and hardship, we all need each other to lean on for support. You may need to distance yourself physically, but that does not mean you must socially. If possible, Facetime, Skype, call or text them. Chances are they may be having some of the same feelings or issues as you.

Kaycee Hubbard is an undergraduate student at the University of North Texas majoring in journalism with a concentration in digital and print. She has had work published in her college's newspaper, The North Texas Daily, and for USA Today. She hopes to pursue a career in music journalism and write for a magazine after graduating. In her spare time, she enjoys singing and listening to old school R&B, reading fantasy novels, and exercising.