Omlola Adegoke: Reform Africa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Omlola Adegoke is a woman on a mission to make a change and reform Africa, one step at a time. The Nigerian-American junior, majoring in Kinesiology and minoring in International Relations, with a concentration in Africa, is the current President of UNT’s NSO (Nigerian Student Organization). She also has her own foundation network called The Hope For Us Charity, which sells stylish custom neck pieces, all in an effort to send proceeds to help the healthcare, education, and injustice in African countries. October 1st is Nigeria’s Independence Day and UNT NSO celebrated their nations freedom with a formal banquet. 

*Some quotes helped stated by Peace Odewale, PR for UNT NSO

With so many misguided opinions about Africa as a whole, what points do you want to get across to make people better understand?

A lot of opinions that people have about Africa today is based on ignorance. I would like people to understand that Africa is a vibrant continent that is full of different cities, states, and countries. It’s full of various cultures and customs. The village lifestyle, although a great part of what makes us who we are, is not the only Africa. We have a great deal of civilized, urbanized, modern areas. I want people to understand the beautiful traditional life, usually depicted by the western world, is not all we have to offer. We are more than lions, the Sahara, and dashikis. 

Why is it so important to celebrate Independence in light of the current state of Nigeria?

Nigeria is a resilient country which means that even though we are going through our current economic issues, we are going to bounce back and always have a smile on our face. Independence is such a big deal to us because we know that we had to go through in order to become free, so in recognition of that we place a high pedestal on our Independence Day. Nigeria will never carry last. Partying all day is what we do ‘Das its.’

What makes Nigeria, Nigeria? What makes you most proud of your culture?

Nigeria is a resilient natured country full of sweet aromas, laugher, and sweat beads of pride. The people of Nigeria honestly make it the beauty that it is. There is a sense of hard work and positive vibes that runs through us like the blood in our body, making it substantial for life. I am most proud of our pride. As a fellow Naija goon, there is a certain swagga that we exhibit in our walk, talk, and overall attitude. When you see a fellow Nigerian, not only can you spot them out by their unique facial demeanor, there is a general understanding of respect and admiration for being from the same place.

How do you want to see your organization grow within a year or two?

To leave your country and all that you know is a difficult endeavor and it takes a great deal of courage. One of NSO’s main missions is to make sure that international African students feel that they have a home in a country that is not their home country. We come together to encourage good relations and growth. We want the international students to flock towards NSO at an all-time high. We also want them to feel the comfortability they did not expect. We want for NSO to be one big family. We also want to continue to grow in all that we do. For example, for our Independence Day Banquet, by the grace of God, should only get better and bigger.

Can you speak on The Hope For Us Charity? What are you goals you wish to accomplish?

Hope For Us is a charity I started to help with HEI (health, education, and injustices) in Africa. The goal is to help those aspects while respecting the different cultures.

—–

For all interests and inquiries with Hope For Us please email:

HopeForUsCharity@gmail.com

Check out the official site: 

HopeForUsCharity.com

Custom Pieces from HFU Charity

UNT’s NSO Banquet Highlight

The Nigerian Student Association celebrated their country’s Independence Day Banquet at The Downtowner venue in Denton, TX.  

Check out their LIVE highlight video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FEBxOf3LMg 

Also check out some images from the event below:

Senior at The University of North Texas. I made Black UNT my news beat, and haven't been able to sleep since. Love covering all things melanated Mean Green.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.