This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I’m sure if you’ve been on Twitter or any form of social media, you know that within the last week rapper T.I. spoke about how he goes to the gynecologist with his daughter to check her hymen yearly. That’s controlling and abusive behavior. No man should be checking his daughter’s hymen to make sure she is still a virgin. Besides, the hymen can break from activities such as bike riding or horseback riding–it’s not always broken through sex.

Ladies, don’t ever let a man do this to you. It is your body, and you have the right to choose what happens to it. Not only is it not his body, his actions tap into a deeper problem. I have yet to hear T.I. speak about doing something to check his sons, why only his daughter? No woman should be violated like that. It’s taking away a freedom and privacy.

Men and women are held to different standards. Even as we begin to slip into a new decade, sexism and internalized misogyny are still too prevalent and it shows in this instance. No man should obsessively be checking his daughter’s hymen like that. With all the progress that has been made in regards to women and human rights, our society is still lacking.

Your body is for you to decide what happens to it. Not your father or your boyfriend or even your mother. You and only you should be able to decide what happens with your body and if you want to share that information. Remember, if you are 18 or older, you do not have share medical reports with your parents. You have the right to keep that to yourself; the only way it can be shown to someone else is if you sign that right away, therefore giving that person permission to access such stuff as results.

I am a journalism major at the University of North Texas. I am new to Her Campus and being a writer for the UNT chapter.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.