Kelly Redmond: Staff Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Infectious laughter can be heard just outside the door as Interdisciplinary Studies major, Kelly Redmond, prepares to explain the many hats she wears as an elementary education student, lab technician and officer in many student organizations.

Kelly is a 21-year old junior here at UNT with a passion for event planning and promotion, writing, and shopping.

As the social media coordinator for Engaged Beyond Borders, historian for the Bilingual/ESL Education Student Organization, and a blogger for UNT’s chapter of the online magazine, Her Campus, she has her hands full.

“I love being involved on campus, it makes me feel like what I want and how I feel matters which I think gets lost a lot of the times because our campus is so big,” Kelly said.

I asked her how she stays on top of everything.

“My anxiety is what keeps me organized. That and my Lilly Pulitzer planner and glitter gel pens,” she said jokingly.

Amidst elaborate collection of boards on Pinterest for numerous wedding themes, related tips and inspiration, it’s obvious that Kelly is using her planning skills and strategic social media abilities to chase her true passions. When I asked about where she saw herself in 5 years, she explained how she plans to be working as wedding planner in Dallas and possibly married and on the way to starting a family. Although she has not, and most likely will not, change her major, Kelly is firmly committed to planning events in the future.

“I think teaching is great and something I might be good at, but it’s not my dream and I can’t see myself doing it for 5 years,” she explained.

Many college students often feel overwhelmed and frustrated when their major does not end up yielding the results or satisfaction level they anticipated.

She offers some advice for students. “Basically panic but then get over it and research yourself back into a calm place.”

No one ever got what they wanted by waiting patiently and hoping for the best. Sometimes you just have to get on out there. 

UNT Junior Integrative Studies major with focuses in Women and gender Studies, Political Science and International Studies. Minoring in photography and journalism. Born and raised in the heart of Chicago, but relocated to Texas for school. I'm passionate about photography, fashion, foods, Vintage polaroid and old records.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.