Style

Journalism Student Jade Jackson Defining Reporter Fashion with #REELWEAR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I recently sat down with senior journalism student Jade Jackson to chat about reporter fashion, the lack of resources for students and her new blog showcasing #ReelWear.

What is Reporter Fashion?

Reporter fashion is what your wear comfortably on air.

What is typical attire for a female journalist?

For news broadcast, it’s business casual or professional with a flair of personal style. Sheath dresses are the norm in studio, but the depending on the the weather and setting for reporters outside, Columbia’s a good brand to stay warm. It’s all subjective though to the journalist, as long as it’s professional. Fashion isn’t really talked about because news is about telling a story and what you’re wearing can be the last thing on your mind when you’re actually working. Reporter fashion is untapped territory; there isn’t a concrete guide. 

Without a set guide of what to wear, why all the criticism?

Young journalists are left to embark on a trial and error journey, which can lead to criticism. Again, if what you’re wearing is the last important aspect of being on air, then it shouldn’t be the first thing that discredits your talent, because you didn’t know better. If we had a set guide, then we could focus on actually doing the work without worrying that we’re presenting ourselves correctly on air.

So, who decides what is or isn’t appropriate?

Your news director makes the ultimate decision. The community and audience that you’re covering also play a key role. Now, fashion is forever changing, and it’s evident in the past few years that clothing and style for on air has changed as well. In the 80’s and 90’s, women new anchors would wear suits with blazers. Today it’s shifted more to dresses with the “anchor dress” becoming a staple. You want to make sure that you’re getting fair critique and not opinionated criticism with your attire. Knowing the difference helps with being yourself while adhering to the dress code.

Why is it important to inform young journalists about reporter fashion?

Students will go into internships not knowing what to wear, and possibly misrepresent themselves. Workshops are necessary because you don’t go through a journalism program to look good. You go through your journalism program to learn how to tell a story. Fashion is easily overlooked. Potential employers care about what you wear, and how you present yourself. What you wear can help you leave an impression.

You can tell a great story but don’t forget about your personal presentation. How you dress is how you feel, and when you feel good, you do good. 

What would you do to help the next student?

I started a blog to inspire students with reporter fashion. Students are busy working on their reels, stand-ups, worrying about what we look like at the desk, and the stories being told. So I created #REELWear in order to inform, and provide tips for others. I hope that the hashtag can start a movement. I just started working at Thrift Giant in Denton, so I’m creating inspiration all on an affordable budget.

Some quick tips from #REELWEAR

Tailoring should be in your budget; tailoring is the key to personalization. There isn’t anything wrong with your body. If the clothing isn’t made for your type, tailor it so that it becomes unique to your shape. As a rule of thumb, only wear solid colors on air. Beware of stripes and chevron patters. Even polka dots is pushing it.

Before you think about buying that Calvin Klein dress that may be out of your budget, shop around at outlets and thrift stores to see if there’s more affordable offers. You don’t have to always wear heels on air. Nine times out of ten, they won’t see your feet anyway. Regular flats are more comfy. Get in the habit of being overly prepared. Stay ready so you don’t have to get ready. There are a lot of discounts available just for being a journalist.

Final remarks

Check out my blog the next time you need some inspiration! Focus on covering that story, and know that for reporter fashion I’ve got you covered. 

www.Jadejacksononline.com

@JournalistaJade on Twitter

@JournalistaJade on Instagram 

I am a Junior studying Fashion Merchandising at UNT. I enjoy binge watching Netflix and Hulu. I look forward to covering current trends and new designer collections.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.