This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Taking the plunge to start birth control can be an overwhelming experience. The impending hormonal changes make many of us weary about choosing the right birth control. Here’s a quick guide to how to find the right birth control for you.

Types Of Birth Control

Not everyone is fit for the pill. Though it’s the default, there’s many more options.

• Vaginal Rings
  • Patch
  • Hormonal IUD/Copper IUD
  • Depo Shot
  • Arm Implant

One of the many factors in deciding where to start is time commitment. If you can’t handle taking the pill everyday but can handle a schedule, the patch or vaginal ring could work for you. If you want something with only quarterly maintenance, the depo shot may be up for consideration. If you want something that you have to only maintain every couple of years, the IUD or implant may the one for you.

Some other things to consider is the method of administering. Some can’t handle the pain of getting an IUD or a shot; others find the patch and vaginal ring inconvenient due to the necessary placement. This can help narrow down the list on where to start.

Before deciding to try birth control, consider what some the side effects you’re wanting to avoid or additional benefits your birth control are. For example, acne can be helped by birth control or worsened. If it’s a concern prior to starting, make note of it so you can get closer to finding a birth control for you.

Getting Your PrescrIPTION

If you have insurance, most insurance companies cover birth control 100%. If you’re without insurance, there are affordable birth controls that you can pay for out of pocket. If you’re unsure of what your insurance covers, don’t be afraid to give them a call.

As far as where to go, you can go the traditional route of discussing it with your doctor. However, there are now many online providers that allow you to get a prescription from the comfort of your own home. If you’re nervous about having to talk in person, reach out to one of the many online provides such as Simple Health, Nurx, The Pill Club, etc. Have your insurance card at the ready when going to an online provider.

If you go to the doctor’s office, you’ll get the prescription filled like any other medication. Online providers, however, ship straight to your home.

Trial and Error

It takes about 3 months to adjust to birth control. During that time, make note of changes, likes and dislikes. After 3 months, reevaluate and see if a switch is what you need. If you decide on a switch, go back to the drawing board. Don’t settle on the first prescription. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. Always listen to your body.

Fashion Design student at UNT! Louisiana born, Texas raised. Passionate about all things fashion, beauty, and politics.