This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As college students, we could all use extra money, and one of the best ways to save money and find unique clothing pieces is by thrift shopping. However, thrifting is a daunting task when you walk in unprepared. Consider these tips next time you hit the resale stores.

Give yourself a couple hours. Thrifting is a process. If you’re in a rush, you won’t find anything.

Accept the dirtiness. Thrift stores do not pride themselves in giving you the best shopping experience. This means that the floors, dressing rooms, and even clothes can get pretty dirty. Bring your pocket hand sanitizer along and always wash your purchases when you get home.

Find out the sales and restock days. When you walk into a store, ask about their sale days. Many stores will have sales on certain tag colors for that day or a store-wide percentage off. On restock days, the store will have the newest, freshest selection of clothes to choose from. Keep it concise. Taking the time to look at every single item on the rack is exhausting. By grazing over the racks, you can spot patterns and textures that you like. If something really stands out to you, then take the time to take it off the rack and inspect it.

Wear form-fitting clothes. If your thrift store doesn’t have a dressing room, you’re out of luck in making sure your items fit. Slipping a shirt over a tank top can be an easy fix. Ditch the stains. Check clothes thoroughly. If you don’t, you could end up taking an item home and finding a stain that you never saw before. While some minor rips or missing buttons can be fixed, those sweat stains aren’t coming out.

Imagine a life with a piece. If you found a piece of clothing you like, try to picture yourself wearing it with other clothes in your closet. Match unique items with neutrals. If you can’t see yourself actually wearing it with anything, it will likely just take up precious space in your closet. Now that you’re ready to take it on, head to your nearest thrift store and pop some tags.  

Happy thrifting!

Brooke Jackson is a first year student at UNT with a whole lot of freckles. She is currently studying Communication Design with the hopes of being important one day. Some of her passions include design, photography, and combining them. She also loves dogs. Lots of dogs.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.