How I am Coping with Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Everything happening in the world is so surreal… and it is hard to believe that so many are relaxing in their mansions and others are dying in large numbers. It is easy to take what we have for granted and forget that at the epicenter of this new storm encompasses the gravity of the situation. Even though being home with family can take its toll, it is easier to get through this by focusing on what we can do to make our lives and others’ lives better. 

My sleep schedule has been a mess from the get-go, but creativity striking me at night has just made it worse. I have been delving into songwriting, production, and being a part of a friend’s album on the side as well. I never knew I could make songs on my own, let alone amateurly produce them. Thanks to this quarantine period, I realized I could do this, and within a couple of hours. For some reason, it would usually be between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. that I would record and put everything together. I might have had a few lines of something written down, had no idea it could become a song, and as soon as I would press record, tons of things would be improvised and I would have a complete song by the end of the night. Quarantine brought these genius tendencies I had no idea were within me. So far, I have 6 songs, with one rap I freestyled after being pressed over a sexual assault movie and feeling the rage within me as well. I have a list of all the song titles and will be completing this debut album of sorts during this lockdown period. 

Aside from new musical aspirations and skills, I have gotten back into drawing for fun. I am a huge perfectionist, so this period of staying at home has definitely taught me to just enjoy what I am doing and do it wholeheartedly, and not to be so self-critical. To make sure I am staying sane, I make sure to get outside every day. Whether it’s for a hike with my dogs, going on my trampoline, gardening, or helping cut my brother’s hair in the yard, fresh air is necessary in times like these to clear our heads, minds, and lungs for that matter. 

I usually do not procrastinate, but have been endlessly now. It is easy for us to get unmotivated with Zoom classes and Facetime friends, but I am trying to take it in stride as the few social interactions we will get for some time. This has been a great time to get in touch with people we haven’t been able to talk to for some time or rekindle old friendships. I have been on the go constantly since school started, and this is definitely a time for relaxation and slowing down a bit. I meditate and do yoga every day, and have been continuing that during this time, which has helped a lot with clarity and stillness. 

It is hard with everything becoming technological. Before, social events and being with friends was a break from staring at a screen for school, remote work, and entertainment. Now, we have to experience any interaction virtually which can really take a toll. Any time spent outdoors or practicing mindfulness, other hobbies honing skills and creativity can help how we are already trying to get past all the insanity the world is plunging into. Now that quarantine has lasted two months, it is hard to comprehend how fast time is going and I’ve embraced this new normal. Whenever things return to a new normal or similar to before, it is going to be one interesting transition.

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire