How to be the Best Version of You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

For the most part, today’s women know more about the “nerd culture.”  I remember growing up, my brothers would have comic book related items around the house and they would tell me about them. I grew up with nerds in my house, so how could I not become one myself? Today’s women are involved in so much and there are still some areas where you can be the odd girl out of your friends. You could be the math girl that loves mathematics and analytical things, or the girl that’s in love with pink and wants to wear it every day!  If you are still new to college whether you are a freshman or a transfer I am here to tell you, you will find your place.  

Going out into the world is scary, but that is why college is an experience. Finally, you’re able to be free of the restrictions that are placed on you.  You won’t be criticized for just being you because that’s who you are.  

Now I will say it is okay to try different things if you are still trying to find who you are.  You probably haven’t found what you want to do or why you are on this planet.  Hey, maybe you could be the one to finally find out if there are aliens in outer space?!  No matter what, there’s always a place for you.  Girls stick together or like Beyoncé says “Girls run the world.”  The world is ours for the taking ladies!  There is no impossible there are only possibilities.  Now, I don’t know if this brightens up your day, but I hope it does. Starting your day with a smile or ending your school day with a smile just helps everything seem a little bit better.  This is a poem I wrote for a performance piece and it is meant to be performed but I just thought that since it is a very powerful poem I could share it with all of you!  Here you go, guys.  Enjoy!

Mirror By Marissa Renteria

Losing the battle within

Looking and seeing nothing.

Seeing what society has done.

Breaking me into shards.

I have my fences up.

Different from what you use to see.

Prickly and sharp.

Society has changed me.

Fighting with everyone.

Saying you need more.

Society screaming at me, change.

Telling me, to follow the rules.

You have to dress this way.

You have to look this way.

You have to change.

Your hair.

Your face.

Your personality.

Your everything.

You can’t be you.

Change. Change. Change. Change. Change!

Stop!

I don’t need you to tell me what I need.

Who I am.

I can only be me.

I am Beautiful.

We are Beautiful.

There’s nothing we can say.

We won’t change.

Don’t let them tell us.

What you are. Who you are.

We can’t be him, her, them ,this, that.

Be you!

There will be no other.

I am a fun loving, nerdy, chill, cool girl. I love being a comic book nerd and love to talk about anything and everything. If you want to play video games or even board games I am your girl. I love playing multiplayer games as well as Twister!!! I have a very corky fashion style and well I love it!! I am just a girl that knows what she wants and will try to get there.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.