An Honest Review: Texas Tulips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

There are countless ways to spend one’s spare time in the DFW area. However, some people (like myself), depend on honest reviews before deciding what is worthy of my time and money. This is why I am starting a mini article series where I breakdown the pros and cons of each popular activity. This review will break down the hype on a well-known spring destination: Texas Tulips.

If you know nothing about Texas Tulips, you’ve come to the right place. Texas Tulips is a tulip farm located in the city of Pilot Point, Texas; a quaint farm town with rolling hills and cow pastures. Pets are not allowed and it is not wheelchair accessible.The entrance fee is $3/person and ages 1-under are free, and includes free parking. However, the price to pick the tulips is $2.50 per stem. This may not seem like very much at first, but it adds up quickly. From my experience, be sure to have a set limit before you go flower-crazy. Below I have listed more pros + cons that you may want to consider before visiting this tulip haven.

PRO #1: Extremely Instagram worthy

• This place is a photography hotspot for a reason. The jaw-dropping view of multicolored tulips provides an interesting backdrop for photos. There are many opportunities for gorgeous headshots, engagement photos, and much more. If you are seeking a scenic photoshoot, look no further. The array of colors provides a palette for each individual’s preference.

CON #1: Someone may ruin the shot 

• The spring and early summer months are an extremely busy time of the year for Texas Tulips. I would advise that you go at a time when there are less crowds; either in the early morning or dusk. Unfortunately, the day I went was a busy day. There are so many people in the background that even Photoshop would have a hard time editing them out.

PRO #2: A scenic view

• I found the ride to Texas Tulips to be extremely peaceful and serene. The country roads gently curve along rolling hills. The surrounding area offers picturesque views of livestock, such as cows and horses. This would be a great ride, especially for entertaining children. A family of all ages can appreciate the idyllic country landscape, making the drive significantly more interesting.

CON #2: Be prepared for a long drive

• In many cases, Texas Tulip requires a decently long ride to reach it. This is not a destination for people who don’t enjoy long trips. Some may find the roads to be uneven and difficult to navigate. One must be extremely cautious around the curvy roads, as some are abrupt. I would advise that the most experienced and patient driver makes the trip out.

PRO #3: Food and refreshments

• An array of basic food and refreshments are available if you crave a small snack. There are foods such as chips, soda, and water. However, do not expect a gourmet meal. I would advise eating beforehand so you can spend less money on food and more on the main attraction: tulips.

CON #3: You can’t bring your own

• Unfortunately, one cannot bring outside coolers, food, or drinks as they are not allowed inside the perimeter of the tulip farm. Only a small ‘bread bag’ is allowed inside. However, if you do plan on bringing one, be sure to call them first to ensure exactly what that means. The restrictions may not be important to some people, but it’s always good to know before being escorted out.

Overall, I would give this activity a rating of 4 stars. It was a pretty landscape full of opportunities for candid shots and allows for an interactive experience that one doesn’t get to have every day. The price was also reasonable and convenient. A few major drawbacks for me were the crowds of people that showed up in most of my photos and the long drive home through 5 o’clock traffic. However, this could have been avoided with proper planning.

Marissa is an Communications Design major at University of North Texas. She aspires to positively use her artistic abilities to create Advertisements and/or Marketing materials that convey a strong message.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.