This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It’s finally that time of year that everybody looks forward to: Christmas. Since most of our money set aside for this holiday is focused on buying gifts for our friends and family, it can be difficult to find extra money for fun activities. If you’re looking to make memories this holiday season without spending too much, here are some ideas to consider.

Christmas movie marathon. Between the classics and more recent movies, there are a ton to choose from. While there are the more popular favorites like The Polar Express, Elf, and Christmas Vacation, maybe consider watching some that aren’t always considered Christmas movies. Films like Die Hard and Why Him? are set during Christmas, and while not everyone may agree on whether they are technical Christmas movies or not, the atmosphere can still get you in the holiday spirit! 

Try a new recipe. There are tons of recipes available online for anyone to try, no matter what your level of cooking skill is. Although cookies are traditionally the dessert people tend to bake during the holiday season, try something unique you may have never considered before! Don’t be afraid to step out of your cooking comfort zone too, you may discover your new favorite treat.

Have a bonfire. As the weather starts to get a little colder, sitting around a fire with your closest friends will sound like the perfect cozy evening. Bring some blankets and snacks and settle around a bonfire with your loved ones, capturing the spirit of togetherness of this season as well as taking advantage of the colder weather. 

Go look at Christmas lights. This is always an easy and fun way to get out without spending anything! Grab some of your loved ones and drive around big neighborhoods to scope out all the decorated homes this season. Try to find out which ones are known for their decorations, and maybe even venture outside of town a little if it means you can get to bigger and better neighborhoods.

Have a craft night. If you’re looking for something a little different to bring out your creative side, have a craft night. Look up some cool creations online that you can make with items just around your home, and have an artsy night with your best friends. Even if you’re not the best with crafts, you’ll still have a fun time seeing what you can create.

Holiday activities don’t have to break the bank, and you don’t have to go out to make memories. As long as you find some fun way to embrace this season while staying under budget, you will definitely get into the holiday spirit.

Senior at UNT majoring in advertising and double minoring in English and social sciences.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.