Goodbye Her Campus UNT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

This is the last article you’ll be reading from me here on Her Campus UNT, and I’ve gotta say, I’m a bit emotional while writing this. I didn’t know that starting this organization in February 2016 would make such a big impact on the UNT campus and many girls’ lives as it has today. I was nineteen, looking to be a leader and make friends with other determined, hard-working college women. I had no idea that we would grow to have 50+ members, thousands of readers, and thousands of followers. I didn’t know how much hard work it would be to balance this organization with my academics and social life. I didn’t know I could be a leader someone looked up to, worked with, and counted on. I didn’t know a lot of things, but I certainly learned. 

Being president and founder of Her Campus UNT has been a blessing that has inspired many areas of my life. It gave me confidence to start my personal blog and share my stories with the world, unfiltered, in the name of being an independent, strong, driven woman. It has taught me patience and cooperation, and it’s also humbled me, too. When I wasn’t doing my fair share for the organization, I had to take a step back and re-evaluate what I wanted from Her Campus UNT and myself. And I realized very quickly it was the same thing that had motivated me to start this organization in the first place: an outlet for emotion, for women to be unashamedly themselves in the world. 

Seeing the joy and pride on our members’ faces as they attend events, hold leadership positions, get to know one another, and submit articles based on their personal lives has been the most fulfilling thing in the world. We’ve broken down stereotypes and misnomers both on and off campus, and made a name for ourselves individually and as a group. Yesterday, they didn’t know who Her Campus UNT was. Today, they see it in our faces, our walk, our monthly meetings, our crazy events, our heart-wrenching articles and more. To have started this legacy at UNT has been an absolute incredible journey, and it’s my turn to thank all of you. 

To our lovely advisor Corinne, thank you. Thank you for keeping us focused on our goals as women working together. Thank you for lighting up the room every time you came to one of our events or meetings. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and motivation even when you could see us cracking under the pressures of college. Thanks for the tiny gifts I keep in my pockets, and the biggest inspiration I keep in my heart.

To my fellow Her Campus UNT graduates: we did it, y’all! We actually did it, and now we’re headed off into the real world. Special thank you to Kayla for running this organization with me and bringing her humor and understand and patience to our members. I hope that Her Campus UNT continues to live in all of us, the values we’ve learned as leaders, students, friends, and women sticking with us forever. 

To the exec board: what can I say except for that this organization would not have survived without you. Each of you have your individual talents and strengths that have been the backbone of Her Campus UNT, both online and on campus. As you continue your leaderships without us graduates, please remember that your special talents are what makes this organization so lovely and effective. I’m going to miss you guys sooooo much.

To the future presidents, Kiasi and Scotlyn: good luck, ladies! We wouldn’t have chosen you if we didn’t think you have exactly what it takes to be a leader of this organization. Lean on each other for support and just rememeber that you were born to empower.

To the other members, all 50+ of you: thank you. Just thank you, for your support, dedication, involvement, ideas, and so much more. You make this organization grow every day with your commitment and we couldn’t ask for a better group of women to call our family.

And to you, our faithful readers, event attendees, and general supporters: without you, Her Campus UNT would have never taken off. Thank you so, so, so much for your loyalty and support from the very beginning. These articles and events are for you, and we hope you love what Her Campus UNT does as much as we do.

Ever a collegiette,

Orooj Syed HCXO, now and always <3 P.S. If you'd like to keep up with me, feel free to follow me on my personal blog almostdrsyed.wordpress.com

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.