Style

The Gift that Keeps on Giving: Coats You Need to be Wearing this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Believe it or not, winter is right around the corner—yes even for Texas. You especially know it’s that time of year when ordering a hot latte actually seems appealing (just kidding, I could be in the middle of a blizzard and still be sipping on an iced blonde vanilla latte). 

It’s time to unbox the multitudes of bins stashed away for the summer and switch out the sleeveless crop tops for chunky sweaters. But most importantly, how could you fulfill your dream fall/winter collection without the right staple coat?

Faux Fur

The easiest way to look like you know what you’re doing and anyone who doubts that would regret it, is through the faux fur effect. A print faux coat earns you extra points, but throw the least expensive faux fur coat on and it would still look like you spent two paychecks on it. Oh yeah, and they manage to keep your arms from freezing off.

Checkered Denim 

Who would have ever thought a denim corset illusion would work so well in the midst of a black and white checkered pattern? The fringe adds the right amount of texture, especially with the belt-like accessory cinching the waist even more. Though it’s hard to replicate this look because this coat is so unique, you could create this look minus the denim detail and just with the belt!                          

Plaid Wool  There’s a certain romantic, love-at-first site sensation one gets when experiencing a life changing encounter. With most people, that’s meeting their soulmate for the first time or figuring out their lifelong passion—but for me that moment came when I saw this Chanel show earlier this year. The signature plaid Chanel look can be achieved by just going to the thrift store, most-likely in the men’s section. The wool adds the extra warmth factor, but doesn’t fail to make it look expensive.

Monochrome Classic

Monochrome is the way to go when you’re reaching for a classic, simple winter look. This coat is what I think of when I think “staple”—a soft white trench. But what makes it look sophisticated and put together is that monochrome touch, quite literally from head to toe. Just looking at this look is beyond pleasing. 

Leather 

Something you can never go wrong with is a good leather coat. This screams “walking to work on the crosswalk in New York unbothered,” and I couldn’t imagine it any differently. When it comes to keeping you warm, I wouldn’t exactly grab this coat first, but there’s no length I wouldn’t go for the perfect winter look. 

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (:
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.