From Foster Care to College: How to Survive (and Learn to Love) the Crazy Process

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

College is already a really hard path to navigate through, and foster care doesn’t make it any easier. Once you think you have a question answered, a thousand more pop up, and the cycle never ends. If you’re like me, there is always this little thought in the back of your mind whispering to you that you won’t make it through college; that you can’t get your degree. It sucks, and it can literally make or break your college experience. 

But don’t let it win. You deserve to be here just like everyone else, and here are some ways that you can help yourself believe it.

Communicate!

Communication is key when navigating through every aspect of college. From figuring out what resources are available to you on campus, to trying to explain to financial aid that your situation is just a little bit different than a standard college student, you HAVE to be able to open enough to ask questions. If you are in an extended foster care program, talk to your case worker! Call, text, email, and do whatever you need to do to get their attention. Your questions matter, so get them answered.

Be Informed!

Even if you have the best case worker and the most understanding college, be informed and research all opportunities that can be available to you. It is always good to be knowledgeable, and it will come to your rescue just in case you have to figure something out yourself. You are your best advocate, and it is time to stand up for yourself.

Reach Out To People in Similar Situations!

While you may think it is uncommon that another person to go through foster care go to college (that’s what I thought), chances are, you may find someone who went through what you are currently dealing with. Look to see if your campus has any foster care alumni programs or support groups. UNT has a program called PUSH. UNT Student Affairs described PUSH as “The PUSH program at UNT provides a structured, campus-wide network of support to assist foster care alumni in achieving educational success by focusing on the academic, financial, career, and social well-being of each student, enabling them to arrive and thrive on campus”.  DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!

Remember Why You Came to College 

Self-encouragement and self-confidence have a lot to do with how you operate on a daily basis. If you feel in your heart like you are meant to be in college, your actions and determination will prove it. If not, take some time to reevaluate and figure out what the best plan for you and your future is. Don’t make decisions based on temporary feelings, though. If you need to talk to someone to get an outside opinion, don’t be afraid. 

Keep Going!

College is hard, stressful, amazing, full of memories, and everything in between. Just because you were given a bad hand of cards doesn’t mean you can’t change the course of your future. You are capable of killing it in college and in life. Don’t give up on yourself, remember to breathe, and keep on going. Prove those who thought you couldn’t make it wrong. Keep the faith and enjoy this crazy process. 

Shayna Russo is currently a Sophomore at the University of North Texas. She is a Journalism major with a Public Relations concentration and a Communication Studies minor. In her free time, Shayna loves being around her friends, family, and dogs. Follow Shayna on her social media! Instagram: shayna_russo2 Twitter: shayna_russo2
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.