Amelia Kramer-Friends Skateboarding And Eating Ice Cream
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Five Ways to Make Friends After Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Let’s face it: by the time you are an upperclassman on campus, you usually have your friend group locked down. But that doesn’t mean that you should limit yourself to those friends for the rest of you college career. Here are five ways that you can continue to make friends even after the craziness that is freshman year. 

1. Join an organization in your career field

This is honestly the most efficient way to make friends. As long as you are involved in your org, you form friendships pretty quickly. Be sure to talk to new people at meeting, participate in bonding events and go out of your way to be involved. This way you meet like-minded individuals who have similar goals as you, so y’all can work towards them together. 

2. Volunteer your time

This is a way to make friends outside of school. People from all over the city can be volunteering at the same place as you, whether that be at an animal shelter, blood drive, etc. You’ll bond with the other volunteers, and get to meet some pretty cool people while you’re at it. Plus, it could lead to more opportunities in the future!

3. Talk to people in your classes

When you are in a class and don’t know anybody, befriend the person next to you. Even if y’all never hang out outside of class, you’ll still have somebody that you can reach out to about homework, studying and other class related things. This way you always have someone to talk to in class, too. 

4. Go to more events

If it worked freshman year, why can’t it work after? Whether this be fun events like karaoke in the Syndicate, or a networking event for your college, you can find people with similar interests as you. Maybe it’ll become something you do together often!

5. Be social and confident

You are not going to make friends by sitting there and keeping to yourself. You have to be willing to approach others and start off a conversation. Don’t be afraid to ask someone if you can sit with them. Chances are, they are going to say yes. So be open and friendly, and get talking!

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.