This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I am currently writing this with super persistent back pain, three tests to study for, and six different tabs open. On days like today, when a lot of things are stressing me out and my plate is overflowing, I find that something that helps me is looking to the internet to get inspired. I made this list of incredible modern women that have inspired me when I desperately needed it. Although maybe not flawless, they are the lighthouses in my personal sea of discouragement. I hope they serve you well, too.

Julia Nunes 

I think of Julia Nunes as one of my best friends. I’ve met her several times over the years and she always proves to be more delightful than I thought possible. She is a musician with a distinct and unmistakable sound that makes me want to both dance and cry at the same time. While her music is still her main identifier in the YouTube community, she is now an outspoken feminist who stands for healthy living, LGBTQIA+ rights, and Bernie Sanders.

Akilah Hughes 

I love Akilah because she makes me uncomfortable. Her perspective is always insightful and informative, so it doesn’t bother me so much when she criticizes things that I care about (namely, Taylor Swift). She is clearly so comfortable in her skin and really confident in her beliefs and that is such a powerful tool to have as a young woman in our society. You can watch her super funny and always inspiring YouTube videos here.

Tavi Gevinson 

When I think of feminism, I think about Tavi Gevinson. Tavi has accomplished so much and she’s only 20 years old. When she was 12 years old, she ran a fashion blog called Style Rookie, which got so much attention that she ended up being interviewed by The New York Times, among several other esteemed publications. After spending a few years on the list at NY Fashion Week, Tavi decided to focus more on writing and now runs a collaborative online magazine for teenage girls called Rookie. She’s taught me to be who I am unapologetically and take myself seriously even when others don’t.

Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman 

Aminatou, left, and Ann, right, are the hosts of Call Your Girlfriend, a podcast that connects these two long distance besties every week. They share their thoughts on DJ Khaled, periods, and how to be a powerful lady in any field. Their passion for life is contagious and they’re always exposing me to new people and new ideas. Listening to CYG always makes me want to change my life in big ways.

Meghan Tonjes 

I’ve been following Meghan Tonjes since I was thirteen years old and I still love her endlessly. Meghan is everything I aspire to be; she has a charming personality, the voice of a literal angel, and is absolutely hilarious. She started the #bootyrevolution and speaks candidly about current social issues on the reg, and is also a mind-blowing singer-songwriter.

Maddie is in her third year of existential woe at the University of North Texas. When she's not in the library, you will probably catch her painting, listening to cute acoustic music, dismantling the patriarchy, or trying to practice good self care. On a good day, she's doing all of them at once.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.