Career

5 Reasons Why You Should be a Lifeguard!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Looking for a summer job? Here’s why you should consider lifeguarding! 

1: Not Physically Demanding.

Lifeguarding is a super easy, quiet job! Obviously, you have to be ready for emergencies and be able to handle those intense situations, but they happen so few and far between that really you spend most of your time working either sitting down and surveilling, or walking around the pool deck watching the patrons. 

2: Flexible Schedules.

Working as a lifeguard offers incredible flexibility with getting shifts covered or switched around. It caters to your scheduling needs usually without a problem, depending on your companies policies. 

3: BREAKS! 

Lifeguarding usually goes in shifts of 20 to 30 minutes, so at least once every hour you’ll have a shift of up to 30 minutes! That break means time to do homework, read a book, or catch up on socials. Yay! 

4: Tanning

If you’re an outdoor guard and you love soaking up the sun, this is the perfect place for you! Most facilities will allow you to guard in just a suit, so you can watch the patrons and get a nice golden glow! 

5: Important Life Skills.

Now, as fun and leisurely as lifeguarding is, it does offer genuinely useful skills. You learn life-saving skills, such as CPR and Oxygen Handling, that can go further than just the workplace. You can take these skills with you as you move on in life because you never know when you’ll need it. Along with that, you also learn other essential skills for your future in the working world such as communication, teamwork, and problem solving. 

Hopefully, when you’re looking for a job this summer, (or any time of year!) you’ll consider lifeguarding. You’ll gain more skills than you think, and could save lives while doing it! 

Aspiring Speech Language Pathologist.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.