Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 movies to watch if you’re single on Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The second I saw hints of pink and red aisles walking into Target I had two realizations. One, I guess it’s officially not socially acceptable to listen to Christmas music anymore and two, how is it already Valentines Day? 

If you’re still recovering from a breakup, anything V-Day themed is a punch in the gut and an annoying reminder that instead of having that special someone feed you chocolate-covered strawberries like last year, you’re laying in bed alone with a bowl of ramen. 

But that’s okay. Who needs a relationship anyway? As a fellow single, I say we treat ourselves. Put on your favorite face mask, paint your nails, light a candle, and flip to your favorite romcom. But if you’ve binged all of them during quarantine, let me give you some classic recommendations that will have you falling in love with a fictional character yet again. 

1. The Wedding Planner (2001)

One of my all time favorite rom-coms, The Wedding Planner is the perfect mix of early 2000s nostalgia and love stories. Plus Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey are the match you never knew you needed. If you like the “I stole your man, but you secretly wanted me to” plot then this is the pick for you.   

2. Sex and the City (2008) 

If you’re an avid lover of the t.v. series then you’ve more than likely already seen both of the Sex and the City movies. But if you haven’t, the events that led up to the gals flying off to Mexico are more relatable than you’d think. If you’re missing your own girl friends this is the movie you’ll want to Netflix Party with the girls. 

3. Someone Great (2019)

Grab the tissues. Like I said, Valentines Day after a rough breakup is especially hard, and “Someone Great” will definitely put you in your feels about it. It teaches you some real life lessons, and is the perfect example of a healthy, but totally devastating breakup. 

4. Mamma Mia (2008) 

If you want to avoid getting in your feelings about your love life, a musical is the way to go. If Abba and Meryl Streep can’t make you feel better, what can? 

5. Pretty Woman (1990) 

The classic of all classic romantic movies, if you haven’t seen this you’re more than likely living under a rock or avoiding any hint of a romantic storyline. Julia Roberts stuns as always, she has you wanting to strut down Rodeo Drive with your man’s credit card while being a strong independent woman all at once.  

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (: