Style

5 Accessories That Aren’t Fashion Accessories but the Fashion Industry Turned Them Into Fashion Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

For better and sometimes for worse, what I love most about the fashion industry is its ability to turn almost anything into a trend: people, religion, movements, objects, and it’s the last one that is this year’s trend. A few years ago, the trend was sustainability, last year it was gender with a huge push toward gender equality and representation, and fashion just kicked it up a notch! This year the trend appears to be accessories that aren’t accessories. Don’t believe me? See for yourself…

#1 Nails

valentine nails
JillWellington

#2 Piercings

Silver ear piercing in ear
Kimia Zarifi, via Unsplash

#3 Lipstick

Girl With Fringe Earings 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

#4 Tattoos 

Amy Flak D
Amy Flak / Unsplash

#5 Phone Case

sparkly phone case
Don Davis

Just call her the next black Anna Wintour. Don Davis is in her third year at the University of North Texas. She is currently pursuing two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising, and a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. She is also pursuing two minors, one in Marketing and the other in Photography, with the hopes of one day becoming a print and digital reporter, more specifically, a fashion writer, and then getting promoted to fashion editor. However, her ultimate goal is editor-in-chief.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.