lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

17 Tell-Tale Signs You’re in Love with Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

#1 For starters, a dead giveaway was when you read the title of this article and your best friend popped into your head instantly. 

You know you’re in love with, or at the very least have feelings for, your best friend if his/her name popped in your head before you even finished reading the title of this article, and memories of hugs that may have lasted too long, or kisses that almost happened followed.

#2 You are drawn to them.

The two of you might as well be magnets, you can literally sense them in the room. You look for him/her in a crowd and your heart beats a little faster when you see them.

#3 You can’t stop touching each other.

Whether it’s coincidental, accidental, or accidentally-on-purpose, the two of you are always touching each other. You barely know what your own hands feel like when they’re not touching your best friend’s because you keep coming up with reasons to hold their hand, jump on their back, sit in their lap or cuddle on the couch.

#4 You keep feeling this need to kiss them.

Normal people that are just best friends usually don’t kiss each other nor feel the need to do so, therefore, if you keep thinking about kissing your best friend, then you two shouldn’t just be friends.

#5 Not an hour goes by that you don’t think about them. 

As lame as it sounds, your best friend really is that person you think about first thing in the morning, and the last thing you think about before you fall asleep. All throughout the day every little insignificant thing from a traffic sign, to the branches on a tree, somehow remind you of them or makes you think of them.

#6 His/her name pops up on your phone and the stupidest smile comes across your face and your heart beats a little faster.

It’s different when a crush texts you, there is all this pressure to think of something witty, or flirty, or profound to say and you can’t forget to not text back too fast. With your best friend, you say the first thing that comes to your mind, you don’t care about texting back too fast or typos because they know what you mean anyway.

#7 You finish each other’s sentences. 

Having twin-telepathy with your best friend is another sign that maybe you two should be dating and not just friends.

#8 You guys can literally talk about everything and nothing for hours and it’s the highlight of your day.

Yes, in 2019 there are still people that talk on the phone. There is an intimacy that goes along with talking on the phone that you can’t get from texting. In fact, I have this theory that if texting was invented before people could talk on the phone, people would be like “wow you can actually hear their voice.” When you’re talking on the phone with your best friend, time escapes you. The next thing you know it’s dark outside, hours have gone by and the two of you have literally talked about everything from how this semesters classes are going, to who died in that show you two watch together.

#9 You are not allowed to text him/her when you’re drunk.

You are not allowed to text anyone when you’re drunk, especially your best friend. After all, drunk words are sober thoughts. You could accidentally say those three words and this time he/she will know how much you mean them. 

#10 If a 3rd party were to read your text messages they would think the two of you are dating.

If the text messages between you and your best friend contain words like “babe” or “baby” and you jokingly throw out phrases like “I love you” and flirty emojis, congratulations, you are actually not joking and you are in love with your best friend. 

#11 The two of you make or made your significant others a little uncomfortable.

Significant others are normally jealous people and anyone who says they aren’t is lying. But they should be jealous of how well your best friend knows you, or the inside jokes you two have, not the fact that you flirt with your best friend more than you do your own boyfriend/girlfriend, or the fact that you and your best friend literally can’t go one second without being all over each other.   

#12 Past relationships have ended over your friendship. 

If past relationships have ended for any of the following reasons, you are in love with your best friend:

1. Your significant other gave you the “it’s either them or me” ultimatum and you chose them.

2. Your significant other told you that they don’t want you to talk/hang out with them anymore because basically he doesn’t trust you two alone together. 

3. Your significant other doesn’t understand you like your best friend does or they don’t know you like your best friend does.

#13 Them being in a relationship with someone else makes you jealous.

This is one of the most obvious signs that you’re in love with your best friend and yet people miss it anyway. If you don’t like your best friends significant other, it’s because you’re a little jealous. If you can’t watch your best friend kiss their significant other, you are jealous. If your best friend comes to you about an argument that they’re having with their significant other and your response is ‘dump them’ with a smile on your face that you can’t help, you are really jealous. If you were part of the reason in any way that your best friend and their significant other broke up, you were jealous.

#14 You trust them, and I mean really trust them.

Ask yourself how many people you truly trust with your life. Now ask yourself why. There is a reason everyone in a successful relationship and every couples shrink says trust is the most important thing in a relationship; everything is built from trust. Trust is physical and emotional safety, it’s a different kind of intimacy and nakedness Trust is love.

#15 You made a marriage pact. 

During one of those quick phone calls that ended up lasting a few hours, you two talked about how if you are both single at age 30, or whatever age you think is really old, you would just marry each other.#16 If “ruin the friendship” by Demi Lovato is you and your best friends relationship in a nutshell, then you two aren’t really just friends are you?

Ruin the friendship is a song about wanting to take a friendship to the next level and being scared it would ruin the friendship on one hand, while saying screw it, let’s ruin the friendship with a relationship on the other. So, after you look up the lyrics ask yourself is that you?

#17 If you spent this whole entire article trying to convince yourself that you’re not in love with your best friend, YOU ARE! 

If you spent this whole entire article still trying to tell yourself that you are not in love with your best friend, and convincing yourself that I’m not talking to you, news-flash, I am. You are so completely in love with your best friend, you don’t know which way is up. 

Just call her the next black Anna Wintour. Don Davis is in her third year at the University of North Texas. She is currently pursuing two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising, and a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. She is also pursuing two minors, one in Marketing and the other in Photography, with the hopes of one day becoming a print and digital reporter, more specifically, a fashion writer, and then getting promoted to fashion editor. However, her ultimate goal is editor-in-chief.