This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up fast and with our wallets not getting any bigger in that time, it’s time to share the best ways to have a  great Valentine’s Day date without breaking your college budget.

1. Dinner and Movie (the night-in version)

Making dinner for two can be really inexpensive. You can go as fancy or casual as you want. Buy the ingredients to make a high-class homemade meal or keep it simple with your favorite frozens. It’s not about what the food is or where it came from, making and having it together is what makes this date special. Pair your homemade meal with a favorite movie or one you’ve never seen. A dinner and movie date doesn’t have to mean spending a fortune, you can have the same romantic night together at home.

2. Cheap drinks

Another way to spend Valentine’s Day is with inexpensive drinks. Going out to bars can add up quickly, but buying a bottle or small case of your favorite drink keeps the spending low, but still has the fun and romanticism of going out. For non-drinkers and underage couples, having coffee or milkshakes, from a restaurant or homemade, is inexpensive and is a simple and classy date.

3. Student Deals

There are tons of deals and events for college students. Campuses often put on events for free or cheap on Valentine’s Day (and often throughout the year). The dining halls may even make special Valentine’s Day dinners. Some Marcus theaters have $6 movies for students on Thursdays, which happens to be the day Valentine’s Day falls on.

4. Games

Game night! There are so many options for two people or a group date. And nothing says love like a little friendly competition. Is there anything more romantic than owning half the properties on the board? Or hitting them with a draw four card and changing the color to blue when you know they don’t have blue cards?

5. Arts and Crafts Night

For you creative couples, arts and crafts together will be a great and inexpensive night. Turn on some Bob Ross, grab some paper or cheap canvases from Walmart and paint, color, or sketch the night away. You can even try drawing each other and see how it turns out!

You can have a memorable and romantic Valentine’s Day, even if you aren’t loaded with cash. These ideas are only a few of the many options. Take one and make it yours: Mix and match and add your favorite activities, foods, etc. Have a fun and inexpensive Valentine’s Day!

Halie is a junior double majoring in Political Science and Economics. She likes to spend her time watching Netflix documentaries, following politics, and hanging out with her cat Luna. This is her third year writing for UNL Her Campus and her second year as the Campus Correspondent for the chapter.