Testing 3 Overnight Curly Hair Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

You get back from a late night workout and all you want to do is shower. You roll your eyes as you think about what the consequences of sleeping on wet curls could be: weirdly flat spots? extreme frizz? tangles galore? You name it, it’s probably happened. 

I decided to try to solve this problem once and for all by trying out 3 different ways of sleeping on wet curly hair:

Night One:

The Unicorn Bun: This was by far the most comfortable of the three options to sleep on. I had no trouble rolling whichever way I wanted to or sleeping on my back. The results, though, were not as great as I had hoped. My natural curls stayed pretty much in tact and were still a little damp when I woke up which allowed me to style it a little easier in the morning. The problem was, though, that I was left with some weird straight-ish pieces that looked completely out of place and did not want to re-curl. 

Night two:

The Medusa Braids: I created this fabulous look by dividing my hair in half and creating six braids: three on the lower portion of my hair, three on the upper half. When I took the braids out the next morning….well….I won’t be doing this method again! My hair was full of tiny crimps instead of curls and was twice its normal frizz amount. I’m thinking that maybe sleeping in larger braids may work better for my hair type at least.

Night three:

The Plopping Method: DING DING DING! We have a winner!! I would highly reccommend this method referred to by curly girls alike as the “plopping method” to anyone struggling with my same issue! How it works is you first shower and condition your hair. Then (because every curly-haired person has one) you put in your holy-grail-hair-product like you would any other normal day. You then “plop”! Most suggest using a t-shirt (pictured) or a microfiber towel. I have also used, though, a very old and worn thin towel that I didn’t care about just in case my hair product made it weird. You basically lay your towel down, flip your hair into the center, then fold it over your hair and tie the ends behind your head. It holds all your curls to dry in a nice pile on top of your head while you sleep, and when you wake up, you have perfect ringlets along with manageable and glorious curly volume!