Stefani Bradley- Daily Nebraskan Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

What year are you?

Sophomore

Where are you from?

Kansas City, Missouri

What is your major?

Broadcasting

How did you become a DN writer? What was your motivation?

In the JSchool, it’s highly recommended to get involved at the Daily Nebraskan, whether you’re a print journalism major or not.  The DN has provided great experience with the entire writing process, from selecting stories to interviewing to making deadlines.

What does being a DN writer entail?

My responsibilities include attending weekly budget meeting where we pick the stories we cover for the following week, discuss how the previous week’s deadlines were met and cover general newsworthy subjects. After I have my stories I have to find the athletes and coaches for interviews, then make my deadlines.  It’s a little extra work outside of classes, but I love story-telling, which is what journalism is all about.

What section do you write for? How has it impacted you?

I write for the sports section, which covers anything and everything from the Husker football games to intramurals through the Campus Rec center.  Reporting on the different teams is an awesome way to meet new students and coaches, as well as gain a greater appreciation for the teams who don’t get airtime on ESPN, per-se.  For example, our women on the Rifle team are National Champions, along with our bowling team.  It’s really eye-opening to see just how many things go on outside Memorial Stadium or the Devaney. 

What are your future career goals?

I do enjoy writing, however my career goals are a little off the journalism track.  I want to work with prospective high school athletes, maybe in a recruiting office, maybe independently.  After law school (fingers crossed) I would love to make a difference with at-risk athletes by helping them realize the bigger picture and how their specific sport can make a bigger impact for them off the field. 

Why did you choose to come to UNL?

I was drawn to UNL because of the incredible tradition this school brings with it.  Husker Nation is a force to be reckoned with, and I can’t imagine a better place to spend the best four years of my life.

How would you describe yourself in three words?

In three words I’m observant, loyal and value-driven.