Staying Healthy this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

The cold weather is finally here! Unfortunately, so are the sore throats, runny noses, and coughs. It’s no fun being sick – especially not in college, where Mom can’t make you some chicken noodle soup while you lie in bed and watch Netflix all day. In order to help you avoid being sick this cold and flu season, here is a list of tip and tricks to keep healthy.

1.     Wash up! I know this sounds pretty obvious, but by washing your hands, clothes, and bedding, you can eliminate a lot of everyday germs.

2.     Eat healthy. By eating healthy, your body has more energy to fight germs.

3.     Get your sleep. As a college student, I know that this one can get a little difficult. However, your immune system won’t work very well if you’re only getting an hour or two of sleep a night. Make sure you are well-rested so you can fight off illness!

4.     Go shopping. Kind of. Studies show that our purses carry plenty of germs, which means we could be re-infecting ourselves every time we reach inside to grab something. Using a vinyl or leather purse that can be easily wiped down will help you to avoid catching the bug.

5.     Smile more. Positive attitudes can boost immune system function, so take time to hang out with friends, play with puppies, what you’ve got to do to get that good mood going. Like they say, laughter is the best medicine!