Paper: A Cinderella Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

People want to do everything on their computers and phones. If you walked into one of my college classrooms and asked the students to write a five-page paper by hand you would hear a lot of whispered complaints. If you asked them to never use a laptop or phone during class I guarantee that you would hear a lot of very audible groans and see too many distraught faces around the room.

In my economics class our professor, after a recent exam, told us we would have to take notes entirely on paper. He basically outlawed all forms of technology. To make up for it, of course, he got himself a flip phone and stopped using a smartwatch. The thing is though, that surely didn’t make anyone feel better. I can assure you I took fantastic notes during that class and taking them on my laptop prevented me from getting distracted and doodling all over my notebook. Don’t get me wrong I love handwriting things, I just get distracted by the limitless ideas I get when looking at a blank sheet (or blank margin) of paper.

Now I didn’t tell you this silly story because I’m anti-technology. Technology is not the enemy. I use my phone for everything. It’s my mini sidekick. But technology is not the hero in this story either.

The hero is paper. Yeah I know, paper. Cue Homer Simpson: “BORING”. But paper is a lot more relevant than you might think. I mean I wrote this paper about paper and you’re reading it off of a piece of paper. If you are still doubting my statement then let me ask you this: Do you have your cell phone with you? (If you do, great! If you don’t, kudos to you because I can’t go anywhere without mine). A cell phone is a technology, right? Yes, of course, but I have a secret for you. Quick lean in, while no one is listening. Your phone is made of paper. “Gasp!” I know, it’s shocking. There is actually small slips of paper on your smartphones. Tiny slips of paper, like these, can be used instead of the standard circuit boards with some fancy printing. If that didn’t knock your socks off, wait till you hear the next two words I am going to say. Paper. Batteries. Yup, you heard it right. Batteries can be made out of paper. These paper batteries are not only innovative but also WAY better for the environment.

So what else is paper used for? Paper in today’s society is used by a lot more people than you think. Modernization and our growing use of technology have actually increased papers usability in surprising ways. Paper is a very versatile product. Because it is recyclable and it’s produced from a replenishable part of our world (trees) it is extremely renewable making it all the more fit to be used on a day to basis in almost any way imaginable. Most people would think about books, newspapers, and money when they are asked about paper. Even more of them would agree with the statement, “Paper is becoming more and more obsolete.” The reasons for this are more than likely able to be blamed on our new electronic age. Websites tailored to offer and “quicker” and “more convenient” way to access the world. From eBooks to television newscasts the need for paper seems to be fading away.

But aren’t there other people like me? People, who find comfort from holding a book in their hand and getting to see their own personalized handwriting flowing onto paper? People, who enjoy seeing and using paper and it’s most famous and well-known states?

Of course, there are people like me.  Poets, artists, and your oh-so-caring relatives. They all rely on paper! Maybe not entirely (I know that digital art exists), but let me put it this way: When you were younger did you ever get a postcard and it had this amazing photograph on it with some hand-scrawled, heartfelt note on the back? I know I did, and I thought was awesome. It’s something I will always remember and hold on to.  Oh, you didn’t get one of those? Sorry about that, here’s another example: When you were little did you ever scribble a picture of your family or a princess and dragon on a piece of paper with crayon and get it pinned up on the fridge? I bet you felt so proud! That’s what paper can do! It can make you feel things.

I am a strong believer in handwriting and drawing. There’s something intimate and special about having something on paper like that. Maybe the problem is that you hate writing. Well to you I say, “Sir, I suggest getting a printer.” Maybe your problem is that you hate uploading things you’ve written or drawn onto a computer to share. I have another secret for you. They have books, made of paper, that when you write on them automatically send the words or art directly onto a computer. How stinking cool is that!?! Trust me, there is no doubt that the constant evolution of paper will attest to its cutting-edge abilities. To show you, we’ll need a quick trip back in time. I mean everyone always says that history repeats itself, right?

Now we go to the birthplace of paper. China. Known for their paper lanterns, origami, and intricate dragons. What was paper when the world had yet to hear its name?

Paper was first introduced in the year 105 and became popular surprisingly quick. People were all over this newfound invention. Soon after it spread to the rest of Asia, the Middle East, and Europe where it was used for its good writing functionality and it’s appealing appearance (try saying that ten times fast). After the spread of paper the need to improve it increased. People were finding ways to make it faster, stronger, and applicable for more uses. The tried and true process was too slow for the needs of the people. Sound familiar to something happening right now? They fixed this issue by producing it in paper mills with many different techniques. As paper production advanced so did the ways paper could be used and a new variety of papers was established. During industrialization, paper had a whole new array of uses and was at the forefront of every new operation.

With how far paper has come and how far paper is going, who’s to say that we could live in a society where paper is no longer a frontrunner, but instead is an overlooked hassle? No one that’s who. (not even tree huggers- hello recycling!)

Oh, so that’s why you think paper is becoming obsolete? Because it’s bad for the environment? You aren’t alone. I asked 20 high school and college students why they thought paper may not be as important as it has been in the past. Almost all of them brought up the cutting down of trees and the amount of paper that is wasted. Interesting…

I’ve got some good news for all you concerned citizens! Paper is actually pretty great for the environment. All the worry about trees being cut down is misplaced. The top reasons for deforestation are overpopulation and road expansion. Not paper production. In fact, the amount of recycling of paper and other paper products done around the world has drastically reduced the amount of wasted paper. I know that in my school there are tons of opportunities to recycle with bins labeled for plastics, metals, and of course paper.

Remember when I said paper was the hero? Well, paper bags, paper circuit boards, recycled paper notebooks, and paper color codes are helping to save our planet from non-biodegradable waste and harmful foods and chemicals. And they are totally saving you time too! Thanks to the constant evolution and improvements of paper.

So, who is the enemy here? Technology? If you think technology is the enemy, for the sake of humanity, please reread this paper. Technology is defined in the dictionary as the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry. So that means your phone is technology, people are technology (no I did not say you are a robot ma’am, please calm down.), and most importantly PAPER IS TECHNOLOGY. And since technology is the most relevant part of the 21st century. Paper is clearly relevant and I highly doubt it will be going away anytime soon. And if for some foolish reason you don’t believe me, please explain to me how Dunder Mifflin stayed in business for so long and why you even bothered to read this if you didn’t think paper was important.

Now, go write someone you love a letter.

Agriculture and Environmental Science Communication Major, class of 2021. Passionate about agriculture, writing, and art (of all kinds)!! I pride myself in being a pun aficionado and I love finding good new music!