NYE Style Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

New Year’s Eve is the fashionista’s dream holiday. It is all about having fun and going over the top with your look. Don’t know what to wear? Well, whether you are going out for a night on the town, or staying in with friends to watch the ball drop, I have the perfect style tips to make you stand out on the big night.

Attire

NYE is the one time of year when sequins are completely acceptable and even encouraged. However, make sure to wear them in moderation. You want to look glamorous, not tacky like a disco ball.Also, be sure to stick with a dark color palette. I’d encourage black, navy, or dark purple.  Pleather will definitely also be in trend for the occasion, whether it be leggings or sleeves of a top. Finally, you can always spice up your ensemble with tons of chunky metallic accessories.  

Makeup

For makeup, I’d encourage taking one of two paths. You can go for a shimmery, smoky eye with a nude lip, or there is always the option of some fierce liquid eyeliner with a pop of color on your lips. Also, never forget to use highlighter on your cheekbones. It will make your skin glow.

Hair

Hair styles tend to be pretty basic to balance out extravagant outfits. You can go with big luscious curls or, on the other extreme, pin straight locks. Curls will give you more of an old Hollywood look, while straight hair is a bit more edgy. If you are looking for something more out of the ordinary, I would suggest using a hair accessory as a focal point, such as a bow or metallic headpiece.

Essentially, NYE is all about bold ensembles with an avant- gard flare. No matter what you wear make it your own and be true to yourself. If you do this, you will for sure steal a kiss from a cute guy at midnight.