Nathaniel Kavan ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Name: Nathaniel Kavan ’14

Year in college: Senior

Hometown: Wahoo, Nebraska

Major: Psychology/Education

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Campus Involvement/Activities: Mortar Board, Homecoming Court, Teammates, Newman Center, Running Club, Arts and Sciences Student Advisory Board, Psi Chi, Reading is Leading, Research in Center for Brain, Biology and Behavior, Dance Marathon

HC: What do you like to do in your free time; any hobbies/special interests?

NK: If you know me, you’ve probably heard all about running, so I won’t iterate on that, but I also love watching quirky TV shows like Scrubs, hiking, skiing, and singing to musicals in the shower!

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

NK: Starting a chain of private practices directed at combatting mental health disparities in rural communities.

HC: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

NK: Scotland… Not only do they have some sick castles, but there’s so much history there and old style pubs are everywhere!  Plus it’s so green.

HC: If you could change anything about yourself, would you? And what would it be?

NK: I think I would maintain my confidence, but once again if you know me, sometimes I brink a little on the arrogant side, so I would work on the humble factor.

HC: What are your pet peeves?

NK: Not using manners… Even if you don’t like someone, using manners can make a world of difference on both them and your own attitude.

HC: What is your worst fear?

NK: Heights, hands down.

HC: We’ve all had embarrassing moments…. would you mind sharing one of yours?

NK: I was leaving Dance Marathon and one of my buddies was coming to pick me up.  A kid pulled up who looked like him in a similar car.  Without even thinking I crawled in and started having a conversation with him… Only to realize after like three minutes of me talking that it definitely wasn’t my buddy.. I apologized and crawled out.

HC: And of course I have to ask, what’s your favorite part of being a Husker?

NK: This is just cheesy, but the opportunities it’s given me.  This university is large enough you can build connections, but small enough you can formulate your activities and your communities the way you desire.  I don’t think I would have had the experiences with professors, with friends, with extra-curricular activities I had here anywhere else.

Think fast…

1) Favorite Food: Hot Dogs

2) Celeb Crush: Taylor Swift

3) Favorite Movie: Fox and the Hound

4) Biggest Turn off: Not believing in yourself… Everyone has something beautiful about them and hate when people can’t see the beauty in themselves.

5) Superpower that you’d like to have: Flying for sure 

I am from Murray, Nebraska. I am a Fashion Journalism Major and Spanish Minor.