Laverne Cox’s Wisdom for Empowering Husker Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

“In a mostly rural state like Nebraska, what can we do to help the trans-community,” a girl in a red dress asked the woman in blue on stage known as the first Emmy nominated openly-transwoman Laverne Cox. An intimate night filled with laughter and differences, the mere fact of having Cox shows the importance of diversity, communication, and truth. And within this truth, wisdom was given for what we as women can do.

Cox opened the night with the quote, “Justice is what love looks like in public.” Which is exactly what commenced in her “Ain’t I a Woman” speech. Justice is the mere fact that a woman of great talent can be nominated for an Emmy. Justice is this woman talking to the crowd of the sexual orientation minority and it not mattering. It is important that we hold these justices and truths to heart. Having Laverne Cox on campus is a mere testament to growth and diversity on our campus.

Just this week there was an article in the Daily Nebraskan on the importance gender pronouns and even those who don’t identify with a gender. Having Cox on campus is a call to acceptance and for action of our administration for the need of gender-neutral housing and correct pronouns of its students. Laverne Cox is a woman, a she, and she is beautiful.

It wasn’t until a local pastor asked for advice on spreading love and empathy that I really felt the acceptance in the air. Queer, trans, cis, and straight alike, this room sought for wisdom on what to do in our community. We can go into our own homes, apartments, and dorms and help eradicate social stigma in gendered housing. To come as one like the audience at the Laverne Cox speech, accepting differences as one unified body.

So what can you do? Check out the LGBTQA+ resource center on the third floor of Union, seek out those you know in the community, call out bystanders for using slurs, and correct pronouns, demand action from campus for the restoration and implementation of better gender neutral bathrooms and housing. Love your fellow women and outside the binary alike, because justice is love in public and we can all use a little love. 

Self-proclaimed feminist killjoy and young politico.