Halloween Costume Dos and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

It’s that time of year when, every time you walk into a store, you are bombarded with Halloween décor. Retailers have everything from household decorations, to candy, to costumes. But, before you snatch up the first prepackaged sailor costume you see, stop and think this through!

Yes, the most crucial part of having a successful Halloween night is sporting the perfect costume. However, it is time to change things up this year and be a bit more innovative in the way you style your ensemble. In order to help you out, I have listed some major dos and don’ts of Halloween costumes.

DO go all out
Halloween is the one time of year that you can pretend to be someone or something that you are not, so live it up. Come up with a fabulous costume idea and run with it. Don’t forget to finish off your look with over the top makeup and hair. The small details will make your costume even more impressive and will definitely get you noticed at the party.

DO pick one feature to accent
Let’s face it, most Halloween costumes are a bit on the skimpy side. Although you want to look sassy, let’s leave a little room for the imagination. Pick one body feature to accent. For example, if you have been working on your legs, go for shorts or a mini skirt. But then don’t show your stomach, and keep your girls under control!

DO DIY
For anyone with somewhat of a budget, packaged Halloween costumes are a rip off! They are cheaply made and you will only wear them once, so why waste the money? Be thrifty and put some of those hours spent on Pinterest to good use. Find costume sites that are devoted to DIY or come up with your own crafty idea. Your costume will be one of a kind and your wallet will thank you.

DON’T over-tan
Summer is long gone and so is your great tan. Getting a little color can make you look and feel better, in your costume, but tan in moderation. Don’t try to get super dark because you will look end up looking fake and orange. Remember: there is a fine line between being tan and looking like you are an oompa loompa!

DON’T be predictable
The typical college girl’s Halloween costume usually goes in one of three ways: the sailor, the nurse, or the cop. We have all seen these costumes so many times it’s ridiculous! Think outside of the box and don’t be a clone of every other girl at the party.

DON’T body paint
No matter what you end up doing for Halloween, there is most likely going to be a lot of other people there. Therefore, I suggest staying away from full body paint. Sweating leads to smudging and a huge mess. Turns out, getting paint all over that cute guy’s costume isn’t the best seduction technique.

If you follow these simple rules, your Halloween costume is sure to be the center of attention at the party. Now, let the costume crafting begin!