Finishing out the Semester: As Told By Olivia Pope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

If I could magicially wish for anything at this point in the semester, it would be to add an extra 12 hours to each day. Because seriously, who isn’t struggling right now? We are all trying to study and complete our last projects and tests before dead week rolls around in a mere 3 weeks while simultaneously trying to enjoy being with your college friends before you separate for the summer. Also, trying to sleep. But honestly, we all know that just doesn’t happen as often as it should anymore. That’s why our good friend Olivia Pope from Scandal is here to help us through it. (And if you don’t watch Scandal, start. Trust me.)

Fake it ‘Till You Make It

One of the best things about Olivia Pope is her confidence. No matter what the situation, she walks with her head high and believes in herself. Channel that. If you want an A on that exam, you’re gonna freakin’ get that A. We can handle this, ladies.

Act Like You Own The Place

Nobody needs to know that you’ve had 3 hours of sleep and didn’t shower this morning. Spray some body spray and throw on your favorite pair of jeans and strut – don’t somber – into class. If you wanna finish out strong, you’ve gotta show it. Plus, walking down the lecture hall rows with a little pep in your step is like a little taste of the wanna-be America’s Next Top Model in all of us.

Stay Strong

No doubt about it, something within the next couple weeks, days (or most likely hours if we are being honest) is going to come up. Don’t let it ruin your positivity or work ethic. There is always another way to solve a problem. Also, naps. We might not be capable of Oliva Pope’s fixing capabilities, but we sure can try. 

Call Your Person

Alright – our person might not be the President of the United States. But we all have that person we can count on to make us feel better. College is hard. Life is hard. So let yourself be vulnerable for a minute. Maybe it’s your mom, dad, grandma, boyfriend, best friend – whoever. Just take a few minutes to put the stress aside. Sometimes all we need is to hear someone say they’re proud of us.

Take A Sec To Breathe

For Olivia, that means a glass of wine. Or a bottle. Try meditating or take a bath. You’ll feel so much better afterwards, and can then continue to slay that group project homework.

Stick With Your Gladiators

Most of your friends are going through the same chaos as you are. So stick together. Bring each other coffee, proofread essays, and have a laugh every once in a while. (This might not be Olivia, but Harrison has got a point.)

Before you know it, the door to this semester will be closed. Let’s hope we look as good as Olivia when that happens.

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter.