Cute Valentine’s Day Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.
It doesn’t matter if you’re in a relationship, dating, or single, everyone wants something to do on V-Day! But who wants to stress about what to do or where to go with your boyfriend or best friends? Going to a fancy restaurant is nice, but SO cliche. This Valentine’s Day, spice things up with one of these fun ideas!

1. Book a dinner reservation at home/in your dorm! Cooking together is super fun and really helps couples connect on a personal level. While whipping up a family tradition or your favorite meal, you and your boyfriend will be strengthening your special bond. Not only are you working together, but you’re also learning new things about each other through the conversation sparked by the experience. Besides, what girl doesn’t think it’s incredibly attractive to see her man cooking with her? If you don’t have a kitchen available to you, or lack any culinary skills, order-in your favorite take-out or try that new place you’ve wanted to go for a while! Meaningful conversation is key to any romantic dinner!

Cooking dinner or sweets with your best girlfriends is one of the most fun things to do! What better way to catch up with your busy besties than over a delicious meal or homemade goodies!

2. Instead of going to an expensive, overcrowded restaurant, why not walk downtown to get some hot chocolate or fro yo? Scooter’s hot chocolate and coffee are perfect for the cold weather. But if the weather’s nice, hit up Ivana Cone or Red Mango for some refreshing ice cream or frozen yogurt! NuVIbe is a great place to go no matter what the weather; their smoothies are delicious and the lounge area upstairs is super cozy and great for conversation.

Getting the girls together for a fancy coffee or fro yo date is the perfect alternative to an expensive restaurant where you would be surrounded by “cute couples”.

3. Who says college kids can’t play board games? You and your man can each pick out your favorite board/card games and enjoy a little friendly competition. Not only is this
super fun, easy, and cheap, but it’s also a great way to get to know more about your boyfriends childhood and swap funny/embarrassing childhood memories. If you both are into video games, spend the evening battling each other in Super Smash Bros or teaming up in Call Of Duty.

A game night is also a perfect idea for a group of couples or friends! Everyone loves games, so invite all your friends over for a night filled of music, games, snacks, and the always hilarious conversation.

4. Explore the outdoors! You never know about the weather in Nebraska, so if it’s sunny and warm, a great way to spend V-Day is outside enjoying the spring air. A bike ride or
walk around one of Lincoln’s trails makes for some fun, active bonding time. Or pack up PB&J sandwiches and a blanket for a special picnic in the warm afternoon sun.

Did you and your friends make the popular New Year’s resolution to work out more this year? If so, then spend the day outside riding bikes or walking/jogging different trails. Talking is a great distraction, so why not get a good workout while spending some much needed time chatting with your bestie?

5. CRAFTS! Who doesn’t love being silly and creative with their boyfriend? Whether you guys are making some awesome craft you found on Pinterest or going old school with crayons and coloring books, you are sure to have a super fun time! Being able to have fun and laugh while making something together, and not being self-conscious about how good you are at something, is one of the best characteristics of a lasting relationship.

GIRLS V-NIGHT CRAFTING EXSTRAVAGANZA- need I say anymore?

Other great ideas for you and your boyfriend or best friends include: bowling, laser tag, or a movie/TV show marathon (Nicolas Sparks, Harry Potter, PLL, Gossip Girl). Also, the movies “Safe Haven” and “Beautiful Creatures” premiere on Valentine’s Day.

Long-distance relationships are probably the hardest to deal with on a day completely devoted to couples. Here are some ideas to help you and your distant significant other celebrate your relationship:

1. Put together a romantic, personalized care package. Not only will it let him know you are thinking about him, it will also remind him of all the inside jokes and special memories you two have shared together.

2. Make your sweetheart a cute video! It can be you telling them how you feel about them, reminiscing on the special memories you two have shared, singing/dancing to “your song”, or anything you want! It’s your video to make special!

3. Make plans for a phone/skype date! Set aside time in the evening to devote to talking with your bf. Skyping is the best invention for long-distance relationships!

4. If possible, road trip to surprise your boyfriend by showing up at his place!

Photo: 1