kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Can Emergen-C Nutrient Shot Energy+ Keep You Awake?

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

I grew up drinking coffee. My grandmas would give me both coffee that was 90% milk, but I would occasionally get 100% black coffee. While I do not endorse giving coffee to young children, I don’t remember coffee making me overly hyperactive than normal when I was young, and I turned out okay…other than the fact that I am very tolerant to caffeine. I’ve met people that drinking soda too late at night would keep them up, meanwhile, I can drink an energy drink and still go to bed.

As the semester is coming to an end, my weeks started to get busier. Wednesday was my fullest day, and I decided to wake up early to be able to finish my to-do list, and give Emergen-C  Nutrient Shot energy+ a try to see if it would work with my high caffeine tolerance.

I usually set my alarm for 9:00 AM, but this time around I started my day at 6:00 AM. I went to the gym, ran some errands, went to class, I had a meeting, and at 4:00 PM I was preparing to go to an event. By this point, I started feeling very tired, and I decided to drink the peach-mango energy shot. On taste, it first tasted fine, then it tasted like medicine, then it gave me a nice after taste, then back to medicine. I started feeling sick and a little dizzy, but after a few minutes I started feeling alive. I was wondering if this was just a placebo.

Then at around 4:45, I started feeling a bit nauseous, and I wonder if I should have had something to eat with it, but this discomfort passed quite quickly.

The event I was going to required me to speak to a lot of people. As an introvert, this drains me, but I had just enough energy during the event.

I got home at 8:00 PM and I felt tired, BUT I was still functional. After events like these, I usually feel dead.

I had dinner, and I started studying for an exam I was going to have the day after, and by 10:00 PM I felt really tired, if there was an effect, it had run out. I was tempted to get a cup of coffee, but while I have high caffeine tolerance, I don’t want the caffeine to reduce the quality of sleep I am getting. I kept the grinding going up to 12:00 AM when I decided to call it a night.

I thought this was the end of my testing of this energy shot, but at 3:00 AM my neighbor’s car alarm started going on and off, and this didn’t stop until 4:30 AM, and I was not able to go back to sleep until almost 5:00 AM. I was hoping to wake up at 7:00 AM but I decided to push my alarm to 9:00. This interrupted sleep made me wake up feeling really tired and with a mild headache.

I went to school, and I was doing some additional problems to prepare for my exam. I realized that I was making a lot of mistakes because I was tired. Right before my exam, I had another energy shot, this time the pomegranate-berry flavor. This one for me just straight up tasted like medicine, and once again, I felt sort of dizzy right when I drank it, though this time around I did not feel nauseous. The dizziness also passed quickly. During the exam, I felt very alert, and when I would get stuck on a question, I was able to tackle it promptly.

Ultimately, I think this is a good product, but caffeine affects people differently. I think it did the job for me both times I needed it, it was able to keep me lively when I had to talk to people, and focus during my exam. This did more than a cup of coffee, but less than an energy drink.

Karen Sotelo is a fourth-year Mechanical Engineering student with a minor in Art. She spent her childhood in Mexico but immigrated to South Texas and has been living in the U.S. since 2011. She has worked in a research lab since her freshman year, and it is part of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and the Aerospace Club at UNL. In her spare time, she likes to draw and paint, thrift shop, dance cumbias, and play videogames with her younger brother.