Acapella Group Founder Daniel Hanson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

What group did you create last semester?
Last semester my roommate-Alex Rousseau, business learning community mentor-Sam Meier, a fantastic composition major-Caitlin Gilmore (who came along a bit later in the process), and myself started UNL’s first Co-ed acapella group-Pitch Please.

What was your motivation? Why did you want to start a new acapella group?
Originally the idea to start the group came from Sam Meier coming to Alex and me saying that he wanted to do this. Our motivation for starting this group was having an outlet of our own to sing and make music together in a fun environment.

What makes this group different from the others?
The main thing that makes Pitch Please different from the other groups is that we are co-ed. Another very unique thing about Pitch Please is that we were started by underclassmen starting out with three non-music majors while the other groups were all created by music majors.

What have you and other members gained from participation in this acapella group?
One thing that I can confidently say that every person has gained from being a part of this group is family. We are definitely one of the closest knit groups that I have ever experienced and it’s a wonderful break from our hectic weeks to come together and make beautiful music together and enjoy each other’s company.

What are your goals for this group?
The number one goal for this group currently is to go to get a set together for ICCA’s for next year. Past that, we are striving to perform as much as we can for UNLand surrounding venues.

What challenges have you encountered thus far?
One of our biggest struggles has been finding members that are willing to work through the struggles that all new groups go through. Another challenge we have faced, because of our purposely small size, has been not having enough members to fill spots when members are unable to make a performance.

Is there an audition process for your group? What is it?
We have a very strategic process that we use to audition prospective members. First we hold open auditions where anyone can come and show off their solo abilities along with their musicality; the only preparation needed is an excerpt from their favorite song. From there a few advance to call backs where we get to hear their voice in an ensemble setting, see how they work in a group, and get to know them better individually.

What is one thing you want UNL students to know about your group?
If there is one thing that we want UNL students to know is that we want everyone with any singing abilities to audition on Wednesday or Thursday, Sept 4th and 5th. We plan on accomplishing great things next year and are ready to expand and make a name for ourselves in the acapella community.

What previous musical experience do you have?
My personal music experience consists of being in some sort of choir since 6th grade, show choir in high school, and voice lessons in high school. I have also played piano since pre-k which has helped me with music theory.

Who is your favorite artist right now? What is your favorite song?
My current favorite artist would have to be Gungor. Favorite song would have to be Beautiful Things by Gungor.