SpringFest Lineup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

The best time of the year for Union College students is Spring Term due to the amazing upstate New York weather and the many events held on campus. One of the most anticipated event of the year before Alumni Weekend is our Spring Concert known as Springfest. This is when everyone on campus comes together to listen to the various bands and performers that members of the student body have chosen for us to listen to. The day is filled with outdoor activities, a cookout, beautiful weather (we hope), and positive vibes. Most schools know who the acts are going to be months ahead of time but Union likes to keep the performances for Springfest hush hush until a few days before the infamous event. This year Capital Cities, K’nann, and Union alumni Ashley Sofia will be performing. 

Capital Cities is an indie pop duo that hit the charts with their number one hit song “Safe and Sound.” The band consists of members Ryan Merchant and Sebu Simonian. The duo found each other by responding to the others Cragslist ad regarding music production. After a few years of writing, composing, and producing they finally released their self entitled EP in June 2011. By 2012 the band was signed with Capitol records and releasing their debut album in 2013. They came a long way from writing and composing to commercials to having one of the biggest songs in the country. Capital Cities has performed at various festivals and venues such as Sundance, SXSW, and Ultra in Miami. To add to their accomplishments they nearly had a packed and sold out house every venue. 

Keinan Abdi Warsame is known for his stage name K’naan and comes from Somali and Canadian descent. K’naan is not only a rapper but he is a poet, songwriter, singer, and musician. For those soccer fans out there who watched the World Cup in 2010 everyone had his anthem “Wavin Flag” stuck in their heads. This is what rose K’naan to prominence worldwide after Coca Cola chose his song as the anthem for the 2010 World Cup. When you listen to K’naan you immediately get a mix of his culture and background not just the common sounds of mainstream hip-hop and rap. Everyone will be sure to jam during SpringFest to his soulful tunes with a mix of Somali and reggae. 

Ashley Sofia is a twenty three year old making quite the name for herself in the folk world. In the past year she has made a buzz  being named a Caffe Lena emerging artist, got international radio play, and went on a North East Tour. Sofia is born and raised in the Adirondacks where she grew up playing and writing music.

Every year the artists that are chosen are not just from one music genre. Each artist appeals to a different type of listener and genre of music so there is some diversity of performances in this live set. Hopefully the weather will be wonderful, positive vibes will be spread, and everyone will live it up on this Spring weekend in 2014. 

I am an aspiring singer and television personality on a mission to adovcate for big cats around the world