Campus Celebrity: Carrie Gorka

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

Carrie is a senior at Union College and has been contributing to Union since the second she stepped on this campus.  Whether it has been on the soccer field or in the classroom, she has never given less than her all.  She juggles being an active member in clubs, a competitive soccer player, and one of the most genuine friends you’ll find on this campus.

HC: What activities do you take part in on and off campus?

CG: I was a member and captain of the Women’s Soccer team- but, sadly, that chapter of my life is over now.  I am a member of the Honor Council and I’m the treasurer of the Chemistry Club.  It is not uncommon to see me running around Wold in my lab goggles (it’s one of my best looks if you ask me).  And most importantly, I just joined an intramural softball team so if you meet us on the diamond this spring… watch out.  I also volunteer at the Joan Nicole Prince Home in Scotia, which is a hospice-supported private residence. 

HC: What have been your greatest soccer achievements?

CG: I was elected to be a two-year captain by my teammates.  After my junior season I was placed on the Liberty League honorable mention team and awarded the ECAC Medal or Merit.  After this past season, I was awarded the “gift of fury” from my coach.  The most important achievement, though, was becoming best friends with all of my teammates over the past four years.  I love them all to death.

HC: What clubs do you take part in?  What about your major?

CG: I am a double Chemistry and Spanish major and a member of both clubs.

HC: What academic achievements have you accomplished?

CG: I would say that surviving Union academics thus far is success enough!

HC: (Good answer ^^^) What is the thing you’ll miss the most about Union after you graduate?

CG:  Two things: Definitely, having all of my best friends in such close proximity.  It is the best feelings to be able to relax, gossip, or eat with all of them at basically any time day or night.  And secondly, playing highly competitive sports. 

HC: What’re your big plans post graduation?

CG: This is a loaded question, Kate.  My plans are very tentative at the time.  I plan to take a gap year, and work in a clinical setting.  Then dependent on a number of things I plan to apply to med-school in the coming year as well.  Eww, even saying this sounds depressing.  Maybe I’ll open a bakery instead…

I’m not sure how Carrie manages it all, but she has made quite the impact on this campus and Union will definitely miss her!