Neons and Maxis for Spring 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Bright colors are all the rage this spring! It is the best time of year to try new things– for the sun will be shining! The most exciting trend this spring is the coming back of the maxi skirt. This looks best if you pair it with a more form-fitting top. Otherwise, you may find yourself drowning in fabric.

Neon colors are a great way to add to your outfit, especially in a maxi skirt. The orange shown in the photo will look great in the sun. This color can be tricky against some skin tones, but since it is a skirt, there will be no problem with washing out your face.

Mixing up neon colors as color-blocking will give your outfit a more cohesive look. I love the yellow clutch and aqua seed bead necklace paired with the skirt!  The top is a basic white V-neck so your outfit is sophisticated, yet relaxed. Using neutrals in your outfit is always a great idea when using bright colors. The shoes, hat, and belt are all neutrals so your colors can stand out. I would never use more than three colors when blocking because you need to let a few shine at once. Add some sunglasses and you are ready for a day out in the sun! If you are not ready to try the maxi skirt trend, there are plenty of options for skirts in the same color. Remember to have fun with your clothes and make it your own!

For more from Hilary, visit her fabulous blog: The Hippinista!