Creative Decorating in Small Spaces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Not only is college a time of classes, studying, and meeting new people, but college is also a time of living in small spaces and on a small budget.  You want your dorm/apartment to be your home away from a home; a comfortable place that you can relax and study.

You look at the decorating websites/magazines then look at the prices and say, “forget it.” Walking into Target or any store that offers “organizational methods” can be overwhelming. How can you have that stylish, organized room in such a small space and budget?

1. Keep it Simple.

Sometimes less decorating is better then over-decorating. You do not need to decorate every wall of your room. Leaving some space can make your room feel more spacious. It’s all about balance.

When it comes to decorating, remember proportions. If you want to hang up photos you have taken of you and your friends, a dozen 4×6 inch photos on a large wall will get lost and look like clutter. Instead, choose 4 or 5 photos to enlarge to an 8.5x11inch size to hang on the wall. Changing the photos to black and white can take out imperfections in photos and add that stylish touch you are looking for. Buying some inexpensive black frames can also make your pictures classier.

2. Strategic Organization.

You are living in a small space, which means organization is key. Sometimes clear containers are good so you can see what is in them. But keep clear containers in pantries, bathrooms, and closets. No one wants to see your food, toothpaste, or socks. Solid color containers are good because they can hide the clutter. Buy the types of containers in different colors to mix it up!

You may not have a lot of floor space so stacking can be a good space saver. Find containers that you can stack that will not fall apart. The picture below is of a dorm room desk. The two roommates know they study better in the library so they decided to only use one desk in their dorm room. Notice this picture is really two desks stacked on top of each other. On top of the desks are the girls’ food bins. The girls who lived here definitely took advantage on the high ceilings in their dorm room. Their two mini fridges are also stacked as well.

Buy inexpensive plastic hooks with 3M tape on the back to hang on the wall. Hang up towels, hair dryers, straighteners, coats, scarves, purses, belts, and more to save drawer space. Remember that another good storage space is under the bed, too.

3. Color.

Solid colors can make a room feel more spacious than lots of patterns. Pick a color scheme and stick to it. Think clam, light, and relaxing colors. Your room should be a place to retreat. Bright colors are fun but can be overwhelming. Red and yellow colors may make you hungry, which is why almost every fast-food chain uses at least one of these colors to promote their food. Over all, color can affect the mood of the room.

The great thing about decorating is that it’s not permanent! Change it up and figure out what works for you. Now that you have the decorating bug, the best part is you can have a whole new room with spending little to no money!