Campus Cutie: Nick Harris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Strength, courage and selflessness are three of the qualities this cutie admires the most in girls. With five sisters, he has grown to appreciate women for who they are and what they go through (sounds so sweet, right?!) This cutie is not only a great person of character, but also an excellent student at UNI. He’s a catch for any lady out there. Check him out, ladies. This week’s campus cutie: Nick Harris!

Name: Nick Harris
Major: Marketing
Year in school: Junior

Who’s in your family?
In my family I have my dad Tim, mom Carole, and 5 sisters; Jen, Christy, Liz, Andrea, and Karigan. I’ve been praying for a brother..

What’s your current relationship status?
I am currently in a relationship with MaryRose Thill who also goes here to UNI.

What do you plan to do with your major?
My plan is to sell pharmaceuticals, but recently I got a job at John Deere and I would like to see where that takes me.

Where do you see yourself in the next ten years?
In the next ten years, I would like to be working for a successful company in Colorado. I hope to have a family with the woman of my dreams and skiing down the slopes in my free time.

What’s your hometown?
I am originally from Eldridge, Iowa in the Quad Cities
This cutie  
Where do you work?
 I work at the PEC plant of John Deere and Company as a component testing part-time student

How did you end up at UNI?
I always wanted to go to a four year university because no one in my family has ever been to one. UNI was the right fit, it’s not too big or small and I couldn’t see myself studying at any other college

What’s your favorite part of being a panther?
Not being a cyclone! (good answer, Nick!)

Why do you think you were chosen as Campus Cutie?
That is a good question … I guess you could say that I have a pretty nerdy personality and I am not afraid to show it. I am also about as mature as 5th grader. Some people may find that cute I’m not really sure haha.

What did you used to want to be when you were a kid?
When I was a kid, I wanted to be an actor. In elementary school, I was always involved in the main parts of our school plays. Not to brag or anything …but I was the gingerbread man in second grade. I was kind of a big deal.

What are your summer plans?
During the summer, I will be working full time at John Deere and hopefully squeeze a vacation in there sometime!

Who’s your celebrity crush and why?
Cameron Diaz; She seems to be down to earth with a good personality, and I mean c’mon, have you seen her in The Mask!?

Favorite movie and why?
Liar Liar. Can’t beat Jim Carrey at his finest!

Who is the strongest woman you’ve ever met?
Without a doubt it would be my mother. She has been through so much with all of my siblings. She would do anything for me and has helped me through so many complications in my life.

Who has had the greatest influence upon your life?
My dad has definitely had the biggest impact on my life. With all the women in my family, we had to stick together for survival! Like my mom, he has helped me out with so much. Overall, I would not be the person I am today if it was not for him.

What’s your favorite type of music? Favorite song?
I honestly listen to everything, but if I was to choose one type it would be country music. It’s really hard to pick a favorite song but “Fix You” by Coldplay is number one on my top 25 list on iTunes haha!

Who would you say is your favorite person from history and why?
I am Christian so my favorite person would be Jesus Christ, but I know there are people who disagree with that so I am not going to go into detail.

In your entire life, what has been your favorite day? 
It would have to be the day I chose to come to this school because I would have never met the great people or had the memorable experiences I have here in Cedar Falls. I also would not have met my girlfriend MaryRose.

What do you admire most in women in general?
Generally speaking, I admire their strength and courage to persist against the constant headwinds of a world that is tilted against them. I revel in the strength and selflessness they must possess to put themselves through 9 months of pregnancy punctuated by the actual childbirth, which must be a level of pain that guys cannot even comprehend. Plus, I don’t think we guys appreciate the extra stress that they have to endure even when going out to complete basic day-to-day activities. In addition to just getting through the daily grind, they have to be on the lookout for the creep factor and deal with that on a regular basis.

What do you look for most in your future girl?
I look for honesty and a good sense of humor. I believe they are important because if you do not have honesty you don’t have anything in a relationship and I like to kid around a lot so if the girl can’t take a joke we are not going to get along to well

In honor of this awareness month, if you could do anything for breast cancer awareness, what would you do? 
Knowing many victims of breast cancer there are many things that should be done about making more people more aware. Seminars, billboards, flyers, etc anything to get the word out because it seems no one really takes it serious until it affects them or their families.

Favorite Halloween memory?
I would have to say it was when I was in 3rd grade going to trick or treating with my friends. This house ran out of candy and all my friends got some but me. The man handing out candy reached in his pocket and gave me 5 dollars. I know it doesn’t seem like much but at the time I was ecstatic. I ended up going to the gas station and buying a snickers bar so I didn’t do anything exciting with it haha

What is your greatest accomplishment in life?
In 6th grade, 11 of my friends and I were on a little league team and we made it all the way to Williamsport, Pennsylvania for the Little League World Series broadcasted on ESPN. We played on the Midwest team and was 14th of all the little league teams in the world!

What is your favorite quality in yourself?
I would say my smile and my willingness to help and listen to people with their issues and try to make them feel better which may be a reason why I was nominated to be the campus cutie.

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.