Campus Celebrity: Kate McNeil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Not only does Kate have one incredible voice, but she has an equally amazing personality! Everyone who knows her loves her and is blown away by her singing. As a music education major, she spends a majority of her time singing, whether it’s for a school concert, in her band Sky Like Fire, or at BASIC on Thursday nights. Ladies and gens, if you haven’t had a chance to get to know Kate yet, now’s your chance. Meet this weeks campus celebrity – Kate McNeil!

Name: Kate McNeil

Hometown: Marion, IA

Year in school: Senior!

Major: Music Education

Jobs:
– Working at Old Chicago,
– Custodian for the UNIdome and Mcleod Center,
– Music ministry intern at Orchard Hill Church.

What is your favorite part of UNI? 
There are so many! The few that stand out most to me though are all the close friendships I’ve made and how the town doesn’t seem too big or too small, but just right size.

Why did you choose UNI?
I basically chose UNI because I had friends I knew who were in the music program already and I knew they could help me figure everything out!  I also like the color purple and my dad went to school here as well.

What is your favorite college memory? 
Oh boy…  I suppose one day I will look back on college and reminisce about all the adventures my friends and I went on… many of them involve walking through dark forests and climbing things, but its hard to pick just one!

What are your plans after UNI? 
Good question!  I’m going to see how student teaching goes, but I would love to get involved or find some kind of work overseas.  I just want to keep doing music, working with kids, and helping people.

What activities are you involved with on campus? 
I’m heavily involved in BASIC (Brothers And Sisters In Christ), which is a college ministry and community that meets every Thursday night at 8 in Lang Hall for worship, learning, growing, and fellowship.  If you know     me, I have probably invited you to come along!  I’ve been singing in one of the worship bands and have recently started doing a lot of the preparation and planning for the worship team.

What is your dream job? 
My dream job would be traveling to impoverished places such as Africa and India and just spreading the joy of the gospel through song and worship… If only I could make money doing that.

What do you like to do in your free time?
In my free time I like to hang with friends, go to new places and explore, climb things, complete rubix cubes, longboard, or if I’m by myself… sing at the top of my lungs and practice spins and turns in the kitchen.

Any inspiring quotes you like or live by? 
“Hakuna Matata.” –The Lion King
“Who of you, by worrying, can add a single hour to his life?” –Matthew 6:27

Anything else you want her campus to know? 
Lottie Staggs is the cutest!! (thanks for the shout out, Kate!)

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.